winterizing mercury 4 stroke EFI

thinkpar

Recruit
I have a 2004 60HP Mercury 4 Stroke EFI Big Foot Outboard. Has 130 hours on motor. Need to winterize and need to know what to do beside adding stabilizer to fuel, changing lower unit oil and changing engine oil and filter. Because it is an EFI instead of typical carb motor is there anything differt I should do. Thanks for reply.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: winterizing mercury 4 stroke EFI

I run these 10 minutes on stabilized fuel (I actually use a fog tank,but you don't need to) then I pull the plugs,add fog oil and turn the engine over by turning the flywheel.Replace the plugs,and wait til spring.<br /><br />DHP

thinkpar

Recruit

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> I run these 10 minutes on stabilized fuel (I actually use a fog tank,but you don't need to) then I pull the plugs,add fog oil and turn the engine over by turning the flywheel.Replace the plugs,and wait til spring.<br /><br />DHP
Thanks for the reply. Almost sounds too easy. I guess thats what makes the EFI different.

rschnack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thinkpar,<br /><br /> I have a 2001 60hp mercury four stroke. I was told by the service technition that these motors should never be fogged. He said that, since the outboards did not warm up fast enough, the thick oil could prevent the valves from seating well enough initially, resulting in damage to the valves. He mixed me up a tank with gas, stabil, and two stroke oil to run through the motor before storing. I tried this one year than later called Mercury directly to find out for sure the correct procedure. They told me they would not stand behind doing anything other than as described in the service manual. The service manual says nothing about fogging, just putting a little engine oil in each cylinder through the spark plug hole and rotating the motor a few times by hand.<br /><br />RCS

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

2 stroke oil down each cylinder through spark plug hole = good.<br /><br />fogging oil " " " " " " " = better!

fish42

Cadet

I also have the same motor did the oil in 3 of 4 cylinders the bottom is real pain to get out so i didn't do it think it's o.k. their has to be a easier way to get oil into cylinder isn't their.

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: winterizing mercury 4 stroke EDI

Re: winterizing mercury 4 stroke EDI

owners manual will tell u how to store to a certain extent

alana

Seaman

do a compression check at the end of every season then if something needs doing it can be done now and not at the start of the season when you want to be out playing. i learnt the hard way

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]From the horses mouth, this is the genuine EFI bigfoot manual.

efi4stroke.jpg

Cleatus61

Cadet

I have a 2006 Mercury 4 stroke. Is the section for winterizing four the Bigfoot the same as mine? I just got the boat and don't have time to get a service manual. The weather is cold and I need to winterize.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have a 2006 Mercury 4 stroke. Is the section for winterizing four the Bigfoot the same as mine? I just got the boat and don't have time to get a service manual. The weather is cold and I need to winterize.

Yes

carholme

Rear Admiral

Cleatus61;

What is your engine s/n as your service manual should be available on line?

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as a model:

1A40412FZ MERCURY 2006 40EFI

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/11762.cfm

Service Manual: http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/FourStroke/883065/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

Mods;

Sorry, just realized this was an old thread.

Gerry

Cleatus61

Cadet

Awesome. Thank you very much. I was about to order one from mercury.