150 Gas Mileage

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at a 150 hp mercury in the paper right now and I was wondering if it would be a very big gas hogg or not because I heard that these motors should get about 5 miles per gallon if you hold it at about 3000-3500 rmp on a lighter boat (so is this true?). The add says that it's an older model V6 with stainless steel prop, controls, trim, and installation is included for $1250. Would that be a good deal for me to look into and would I notise a difference from my 3 cylinder 70 hp motor that I have right now?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: 150 Gas Mileage

The fuel economy is directly related to the boat hull design, weight, how it is propped, and how it is operated. You really won't know until you get it and run it. What kind of economy do you get with the 70 right now?

LubeDude

Admiral

I have an older, (87)Merc 150 on an 17.5-18' Bass boat. I think that they are rated at something like 2.5 MPG at WOT. I have never actually tested it, (I had plans to, but),Its not too bad if you dont run it like ya stole it, Surprisingly good actually. Much better than I expected. I can run around on my home lake most of a day on five or six gallons. Now Im not running all day though, Im fishing, running, fishing, running and so on.<br /><br />This is almost one of those questions that if ya have to ask you cant afford it.<br /><br />As to if you will notice a difference, :eek: OH YA, A BIG DIFFERENCE You are over double the HP.<br /><br />Whats the boat rated for?

mulliganmagic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Last week I made a run of about 24 miles and burned about 4 gallons of gas. I was doing a little of 3/4 throttle running and a lot of 1/2 throttle running with my 70 hp and my 15.5 footer (and that was with 3 people and a dog in it). The reason that i was looking at the 150 is because I have a bass boat and I would like to get a run about in a similar size and I know that they are heavier plus I would like power trim since my motor doesn't have it.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 150 efi and like lubedude said ,unless you run it wide open all the time, they are not to bad on gas. I go on two seven day fishing trips a year and go through about 80 gallons on each trip, and this is running my motor alot,this is on the st.laerence river and lake winnipisaukiewhere you can run 45mph pretty steady.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Bigger toys cost more!!! And it will be like going from a 4 banger to a V8.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I get 2 miles to the gallon out of mine and it doesn't matter if I am doing 7 knots or 25 knots at 4000rpm, it still comes out as 2 miles / gallon. Lovely motor though and effortless power.