84 35 HP MERCURY FLYWHEEL PROBLEM

louiew

Recruit
84 35 HP MERCURY MOTOR HAD NO IDLE. CHANGED STATOR, POWERPACK, AND CARB. NOW THE FLYWHEEL SOMETIMES HITS AND IS BREAKING THE MAGNETS WHERE THE LOW IDLE TIME IS. WHAT CAN WE DO TO FIX THIS PROBLEM? IT IS IN THE SHOP AND THE REPAIRMAN CONTACTED ANOTHER SHOP THAT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. THEY PUT A NEW FLYWHEEL ON AND IN SIX MONTHS IT CRACKED AGAIN. ANY IDEAS?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 84 35 HP MERCURY FLYWHEEL PROBLEM

If the flywheel is on the hub flange and aligned properly and the stator is also on it's alignment flange and properly tightened, the only way for the two to touch would be a bad upper main bearing or bent crank. I doubt if it's one of these options. Most magnets are broken due to improperly pulling of the flywheel or the flywheel being struck. Many will come unglued but not broken. How come a Stator, Switch Box and Carb.? Someone with little service experince just throwing parts at it--Bob

louiew

Recruit
Re: 84 35 HP MERCURY FLYWHEEL PROBLEM

I think my repairman has been just trying parts. I have had this motor for about 8 years and as far as I know the flywheel hasn't been removed. But he did replace the stator so I will make sure he has it aligned properly. The motor set up for about two years due to the low idle and I took it to several repair people but they still haven't found the problem. Thanks for all your help...