1985 Mercury 50 hp outboard remote control loose?

dave37

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,<br /><br />At full throttle position the Mercury remote control box seems a bit tight at WOT, and tends to creep back a couple of hundred RPM once underway. I took apart the control box, everything seems fine. While awaiting my ordered service manual, is it likely the throttle cable is just a tad too tight, and if so, is it best to adjust at the control end or the outboard end.<br /><br />Next question, there is a capped electrical connector on the front of the control box, is this for wiring in accessories?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />1985 Mercury 500, 4 cylinder two stroke outboard<br />Mercury control box.

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 Mercury 50 hp outboard remote control loose?

I don't think it adjust at the control - have to do it at the motor. The capped connector is for the tach and possibly other accessories depending on the number of pins.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

3 pins = Tacho. Brown black white.<br />What angle is it on when running at W.O.T.

dave37

Seaman Apprentice

The control handle is pointing slightly downward, but it takes a bit of pressure to get it to move in the last inch or so of travel to WOT