1988 Mercury 100hp outboard trim motor removal.

88searay

Recruit
I have a 1988 Mercury 100 hp outboard that the trim motor will not work. When you hit the up or down switch the solenoids click but no movement in the motor. Tried bypassing solenoids per other post on board and this did not work. Battery has a full charge. So I would like to remove the unit and try and clean it. I can see the front bolt but there appears to be a back bolt. How do I get to the back bolts? Do I have to remove the transom bolts? Last question, what weight and type oil do I top off the fluid with? It is a square type motor with 3 wires and two solenoids and three trim pistons. Thanks for your help. BC.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Mercury 100hp outboard trim motor removal.

that unit sounds the same as mine, heres what i did to remove mine. raise the motor and put the travel arm down. take the 3 bolts out of the trim unit that go through the right motor bracket. lossen the steering cable that goes through the right mount so it will slide a couple of inchs. remove the transom bolts on the right bracket. it should now slide to the right enough to get to the back bolt. make sure the area is as clean as you can get it before you pull the motor out of the pump. it looks like the motor would move but it should stay put. a 4 mm 6 point socket fits the shaft coming out of the trim motor, mine just needed freeing up. hth