9.9 to 15 conversion From The Book

LTC Birkett

Cadet
I understand that this may restart a prior and deeply debated topic..... But I want to see this all for myself based on the actual parts catalog and service manual... The following is what I have seen from these Mercury manuals..... First though, in my attempt to dodge and flying debris my disclaimers...<br /><br />The below list of parts reflects those that would require swapping out to convert a short shaft manual start 2003 Mercury 9.9 Outboard to the equivalent 15hp outboard. It is my best non marine outboard mechanic initial estimate as to what physically is different between these outboards. That said, would I undertake this conversion... Probably not very soon on my brand new engine. If I got a great deal on a used late model 9.9 outboard I most certainly would. Rational: First of all, I really think this would void the warranty on my new engine. Secondly, my boat is rated to handle a 15hp outboard engine. Finally, while the parts catalog is an excellent visual reference as to how it all fits together, there is a multitude of small springs, screws, bushings, washers in the throttle and shift linkage (pages 12-13) that must be properly disassembled and then re-assembled. And right now all that STUFF scares me.<br /><br />And now.... the real truth as to the difference in these two manual short shaft outboards....<br /><br />Page # Ref # Part Number Qty Description<br /><br />1 37-12836A00 1 DECAL SET (BLACK 9.9)(2000&UP)<br />1 37-13478A00 1 DECAL SET (BLACK 15)(ALL)<br />19 1 1392-8846T20 1 CARBURETOR (9.9)(WMC-61)<br />19 1 1392-9726T11 1* CARBURETOR (15)(WMC-63)<br />19 1 1392-9726T15 1* CARBURETOR (15)(WMC-77)<br />19 6 813022 1 SHAFT (8/9.9)<br />19 6 19267 1 SHAFT (15)<br />19 14 1395-6246 1 MAIN FUEL JET (.048)(9.9)<br />19 14 1395-6207 1 MAIN FUEL JET (.072)(15)<br />39 10 41344--9 1 ADAPTER PLATE (NO EXHAUST TUBE)(6/8/9.9)<br />39 10 41344T6 1 ADAPTER PLATE (WITH EXHAUST TUBE)(15)<br /><br />A few last notes: <br />* Parts Catalog lists two carburetors for the 15hp model. Outboard only requires one carburerator but I do not know which one is required nor the rules under which either should be applied.<br /><br />I plan on posting the spreadsheet i made with this information also and will post that URL onlce I have it posted to my website...<br /><br />Hope this helps and doesn't cause folks to revisit a contentious issue...<br /><br />Take care,<br />Bill

LTC Birkett

Cadet
Re: 9.9 to 15 conversion From The Book

The On-Line Parts Source Total Cost of the Parts to convert is as follows:<br /><br />9.9 --> 15 $278.10<br />15 --> 9.9 $265.70<br /><br />Sorry I didn't find this first and include in original post.....<br /><br />Bill

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I just gotta learn to know when I'm wasting my time trying to help somebody that doesn't intend to listen. :D

LTC Birkett

Cadet

You failed to read the entire post.... Let me regiritate several items from my original posting to clear this up.....<br /><br /> That said, would I undertake this conversion... Probably not very soon on my brand new engine.<br /><br />Rational: First of all, I really think this would void the warranty on my new engine. <br /><br />PLEASE DON'T think bad of me because down the road after my warranty requirements I may modify my engine......<br /><br />Can the cops arrest me for wanting to shot someone in the head. NO they can't.<br /><br />Why would Merc void my warranty for planning what I may do after my warranty expires???<br /><br />GET REAL...<br /><br />Bill<br /><br />ps... MERC already knows my model and serial number.... THEY SOLD ME THE DARN ENGINE...

LTC Birkett

Cadet

Darn I wish I would put all this in the first note i posted.... For that I will take all the abuse anyone has to offer...<br /><br />I am a private citizen... I don't work for nor am I affiliated any way with (other than as a consumer) with Mercury.<br /><br />Guess where I bought the Service Manual and the Parts Catalog... Mercury sold it to me from their website... My local Mercury dealer had no involvement nor have they provided me any information concerning the feasibility of this conversion...<br /><br />I am however smart enough to know where to get this type of information as well as read a parts catalog as I am sure most people on this site are... Furthermore, I realize that anyone with this type of information can not reproduce these manuals for distribution. They are copyrighted materials and severe penalties would be imposed to anyone that illegally provided this type of information... I seriously hope no one bites on the troll and provides that type of information.... They would get into some significant trouble.... <br /><br />However, I can't speak for my friend above in any of the above mentioned matters.<br /><br />Thank you all for listening,<br />Bill :) :cool:

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

You haven't listed anything special here requring the cops to come knocking at your door! :D Most of this stuff is already known. I think the Merc guys have better things to do than worry about your warrranty because you will be changing a carb and/or jet. ;)

Hooty

Rear Admiral

(Groan)<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The Merc cops are coming! The Merc cops are coming!<br /><br />Brings to mind an episode of WKRP in Cincinnatti where Johnny Fever was looking over his shoulder everywhere for the Phone cops. Still brings a chuckle. :D

LTC Birkett

Cadet

yes i like Johnny Fever...... :cool: <br /><br />But I don't consider you a cop, nor do I think the cops or coming. I have done nothing wrong.<br /><br />Bill

LTC Birkett

Cadet

Willy,,,, You appear to not have a clue.... Nothing but honest people here. Why do you think people are out to perpetrate a fraud. Did you really go back and read my original post....<br /><br />After the last round of this lunacy, of which you appeared to be a part I wanted to see the official Merc documentation. That is when I ordered the documentation from MERC (not a dealer). My intent was to identify could it be done. Answer is a BIG yes. If MERC didn't think people would do this then why would they not make it possible to do it.... I don't know anyone that would screw around and risk trashing their $2K outboard on something this complicated such as this. If there were to be a person or moron that attempted to do this without the proper parts (and documentation) or know how I am sure that any Merc tech would be able to identify that fact, and that they would then do the right and proper thing from their standpoint. At some point we all really do take responsibility for our actions.<br /><br />Let this die. I have shown you and all that it can be done using the Merc documentation and parts that anyone can get. NUF SAID.<br /><br />Have a nice life,<br /><br />Bill

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I think they're bored with my old signature. I see all my posts changed to the new one. It used to be "Save on your Boatowner's insurance. Take a Safe Boating course. The life you save could be your child's." Like the new one??? :D

fhafer

Cadet

What you have posted can you explain this?
Thanks........

We race the Mercury/Mariner two stroke outboards in the APBA Junior Categories. We frequently find old 9.9's and convert them to 15 hp engines. The older motors need upgraded flywheels and stators besides the exhaust tubes and carburetor. They also need the switch box assembly without the hump in the middle. I convert mid 1990 motors to 2004 standards. Blocks need to have the rectangular exhaust ports and one piece (Plastic/rubber coated) reed valve assemblies to be race legal.

Race ready motors are $3,200.00 without a gearfoot; I buy and convert 9.9s for about $1,800.00.

If you have an old blown up 9.9 or 15 mercury/mariner I'll buy it for a resonable price.