computer controled fuel system

rholland

Recruit
I have a 1995 225 EFI Mercury that consumed a full tank of gas in less than 7 miles at 50mph.Shop mechanics said it was first a fuel regular problem, then a computer problem. There were no leaks or sheen on water. Boat has been in shop for 3 months waiting for a computer.When I ask, all I get is it's on back order over and over. Does this diagnosis sound correct and are computers for this motor so hard to find? The motor ran fine, I just watched the fuel guage go from full to empty trying to get back to the dock.<br />Boat is still in shop so no numbers handy.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: computer controled fuel system

How big is the tank? IF you are paying for the computer, WWW.rapair.com repairs them and may be able to check yours. Was the tank and fuel hoses checked for leaks?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> no way to burn more than 25 gallons or so an hour throuh the motor. if the injectors were sticking it would run nasty rich. however a leak on the high pressuer rail or a low pressuer diaphram will use a lot of fuel. I would want to see the diagnostic print out that showed an injector pulse width that wide so as to consume that much fuel. assuming your tank is larger than 6 gallons.<br /> good luck and keep us posted

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

What's the size of your tank?.3 months waiting for a part is much too long, seems to me like you're getting the run around. :(

rholland

Recruit

thanks for the reply,it's a 32 gal tank on a21' champion.i checked and there was no internal leak and pulled the cowlin off at the lake and nothing seemed amis so off to the shop it went. i agree, there's no possiable way i should have went through that much fuel that quick but it happened. at 50 mph i couldn't see if it was dumping out through the motor somehow but it wasn't smoking or running rough and that's what got me.i am totally lost. i wouldn't have a clue what i was looking at seeing the printout but i would surely like some advice. i called back today and was told his tech rep was gone for the next couple days and they were looking at the 17th of nov. now. guys i'm more an auto shade tree than marine, i value my time on the water too much to take chances so its to a merc shop it goes. i can see a car dump gas out the exaust but with an outboard you should have seen a sheen half way across the lake with that much fuel.<br />Rodbolt, give me the benifit,tell me about the high pressure rail and low pressure diaphram, what to look for when looking at the printout.