How much to change from prop to jet drive ???

cootersplace

Seaman
On a 1993 Mariner 115 what would it cost to make it jet drive ? Any idea ? And is it available ? Thanx Cooter

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much to change from prop to jet drive ???

Hello:<br /><br />As far as I know it is easy to convert the motor to a jet drive. The boat is another thing. For the morot take the lower unit off and install the jet foot. The transon maight have to be modified though. I think it is like this. a jet outboard has to be higher on the transom than a prop with the same shaft length. Should confirm that with someone that has a jet outboard though.<br /><br />I hope this helps some.<br /><br />Craig

aspeck

Staff member
Re: How much to change from prop to jet drive ???

Don't know what the cost of the jet drive will be, but it will decrease your horsepower by about 25%. You will need to think about why you want to go with the jet outdrive also. You will probably not be able to carry the load your boat is capable of carrying, especially in the front, because the jet will "blow out."<br /><br />They are fun for rivers with boats with shallow drafts, but make sure you research the jet drive advantages and disadvantages closely before jumping in. If a jet suits your needs, it will be a blast!<br /><br />BTW, jet kits are easily accessable for almost any engine.