pinhole in lower unit on Mercury 65hp

Just_a_Kid

Seaman
Hello,<br /><br />I was recently running my mercury on muffs, but figured that I would fill up a bucket and run it to see if it got better water pressure. It ran quite a bit better...<br /><br />I took it out of the water and came back the next day ... and I am seeing lower unit oil now coming out of a small pinhole twards the front of the lower unit. Crap ... I don't want to replace the lower unit on this .... <br /><br />I am afraid that it is too close to the gears to try to weld ... but then again I don't know much about welding. I was wondering if I should try to get this welded ... or is there something that I can do to patch this pinhole ? <br /><br />Is there a lot of pressure in the lower unit ?<br /><br />Well any comments would be appreciated ... thanks.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: pinhole in lower unit on Mercury 65hp

take it to a "Prop repair" shop. They'll know if its weldable in its location.....

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

try some JB Weld. I once patched the inside pan of a dishwasher that had a couple pin holes, meaning to fix it permanent later. Forgot about it.....15 years later we were in the old neighborhood and visited out old house. Guess what? Same dishwasher, same JB weld spots in the inside pan. Man did I feel like a Homer for forgetting, but its still cranking along. Might work as a temp on you lower unit anyway.

Just_a_Kid

Seaman

Thanks ... I try the jbweld and find out if it will stick....<br /><br />Just don't want to run out of lower end lube and burn up the lower end.<br /><br />Thanks again guys.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB Weld is good stuff. Make sure that the area is free of oil and roughened up some before you put on the JB.<br /><br />If it's a nice round little hole, you could drill it out, tap it, and put in a set screw. Shoot, you could make yourself a second drain hole.

petryshyn

Commander

If the rest of the engine is in good shape, I wouldn't trust my lower unit to "glue". Fix it right.....our prop repair people charge $15 to fill in a small hole.... :(

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you decide to go wiht the JB weld.<br />Take center punch to the pinhole and tap it lightly just enough to make a little indent. This will give it a bit mores surface to adhere to.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Just a Kid-- have you checked your lower unit oil for milkyness. Some times what you think is LU oil is actually unburned oil and gas residue, also there is a small hole in you lower unit on the leading edge just above the bullet, this is where some motors have there speedo hose hookup and on some it is a water drain. I would have it pressure/vacum checked.

Just_a_Kid

Seaman

it is kind of above the bullet.... and to me looked like it was supposed to maybe be there, but when I saw what looks like oil...that's when I figured that it was a hole from something that hit it. I will drain the lower unit and see if that is where the hole leads to.<br /><br />To get it pressuer/vacume tested do I have to take it in somewhere to get done ?

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just_a_kid <br /><br /> That more than likely is your speedo hook up. You are probably seeing the unit leekig lube cause your seals are bad. I would not put no kind of epoxy on that unit until I new if it was factory or if you hit something. More than likely tough your seals are bad. If your not shure you should take it to a marine.<br /><br /> Nickster

nickster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just a kid you should look more into this before doing something that you will regret.<br /><br /> nickster

RICKRICK1

Ensign

just a kid--just a thought, have you tried using wd40 and blowing it into the hole, if you can use the little tube you might be able to tell if this is a hole into the LU itself. Also try poring water in the front cvaity/access that is above the cavatation plate where the LU and mid section join at the shift shaft at the front. If water only drains then this is not going into your LU.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

just a kid--just a thought, have you tried using wd40 and blowing it into the hole, if you can use the little tube you might be able to tell if this is a hole into the LU itself. Also try poring water in the front cavity/access that is above the cavatation plate where the LU and mid section join at the shift shaft at the front. If water only drains then this is not going into your LU.

Just_a_Kid

Seaman

that sounds like what it might be ....<br />I will try that today and see if that is where I am seeing an issue.<br /><br />thanks for the help guys... probably saved me from doing one of those stupid mistakes...