1978 Mercury 402

Emnick

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I recently acquired this engine with manual. The engine is like new but has not tried to be started in 4 years. I also have the original MerControl with cables. My question is when I attach the cables does it matter which cable goes where? Any help on getting this engine started is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Ed

NathanY

Commander
Re: 1978 Mercury 402

Yes it matters which cable goes where. The easiest way to see it to push the button in the center of the handle, hold it in and push the handle forward. The cable that moves is the throttle cable.

Emnick

Cadet

Nathan,<br /><br />The MerControl has 2 levers,One being the obvious throttle lever and the other is a small lever on the other side of the control. I am pretty sure there is no button to push on either lever except for the choke button.<br /><br />Thanks,'<br /> Ed

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

On the old MerControls - the main lever is the shift/throttle. The small flat lever is the neutral warmup. If you have the throttle in neutral (perpendicular to the plane of the cables) you can lift up the neutral warm up lever. Whichever cable moves will be the throttle cable. <br /><br />Hook up the shift cable first, as it runs in the lower position in the motor's mounting block. Make sure the prop free wheels in neutral, spins about 100-degrees in either directon in reverse with a solid lock-to-lock, and that it spins with a ratcheting sound in the clockwise direction in forward. You can adjust the brass mounting nut to achieve proper adjustment.<br /><br />Throttle side is done so that the motor idles in gear just above the point of stalling when put into gear - usually around 400-600 RPM, the slower the better.<br /><br />- Scott