Stripping oil pump drive gear on Mercury EFI

TTRapid

Recruit
I am looking for a fix for Mercury 150EFI (1998) oil injection pump gear located on the crankshaft (its plastic). This gear keeps stripping.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Stripping oil pump drive gear on Mercury EFI

Is it possible to remove the oiler and rn premix on an EFI motor? If so that might be one option.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

TTRapid <br /><br />There is a steel gear available. It is recommended for a lot of high speed running. Those gears were known to fail and I believe at one time there was talk of a recall. Give the dealer a call and see if they have one or can get one.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Rapair / CDI markets a trick little replacement deal that no longer relies on the gear. It's a very nice looking unit.<br /><br />Good luck!

bret walters

Seaman

just curious, how many times has this failure been repaired?

TTRapid

Recruit

MERTECH, I have dad this failure twice in the last 2 years and it's getting me pissed off.

TTRapid

Recruit

Dhadley, how do I get infomation on the mod you mentioned. Rapair/CDI.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Call Clark Beard or TJ at 256-772-3829.<br /><br />Good luck!

Superdave

Cadet

The plastic gears are for Mercury's recommende rpm range,less than 6000 rpm and strip easily. I have some friends that turn over 10000 rpm. Take the oil pump off and replace it with a block off plug that you can get from Mercury. Then mix your own oil/gas. If you continue to run the gear you will have a major melt down<br />Dave

captweed

Cadet

Just removed the oil pump from a pair or 200 Merc I bought,1 seized due to broke oil tube( they get brittle)Put plug in like mentioned.My motto on oil injection " it's not if it's going to fail,it's when". I like my motors.

Robot19

Cadet

Call API Marine 800-327-6086 for information on Marine Solution's Electronic Oil Injection system.

TTRapid

Recruit

I installed an electronic oil injection system from G FOrce Technologies today. It works great and not to differcult to install.<br />Thanks