Mercury 110 9.8hp 70's model, how to take cover off

bassmast.714

Recruit
Hi, i have a neighbor who gave me an engine 110 9.8 mercury that looks like a 70's model engine, it had the letters "IEKHAEFER" on the front on the engine just above the choke, fuel fitting, and stop button. I was wondering where do i look to get the cover off of the engine?

NathanY

Commander
Re: Mercury 110 9.8hp 70's model, how to take cover off

Under the pull rope rubber handle there is a button that you push to take the front cover off, under that cover there are 2 latches, pop those off and the wrap around cowl will come right off.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

OR, at the back of the engine, inside the handle looking thing ,you will find a latch that swings down and releases the entire cover ,starter and all .

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Nathan - the 9.8 has a bucket cowling, unlike the 20hp which has the wrap you described.<br /><br />Depending on which end of the 1970s the motor is from (always include serial number, please!) the latch could be in the back under the motor rest - only if your hood is metal, or if your hood is plastic, there should be a latch in the front which is attached to a cable that releases the catch in the back.<br /><br />- Scott