Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

My voltage regulator on my Mercruiser 488 caught fire so I had to use my fire extinguisher on it. Now I have that white powder all over my engine and engine bay. I have thought to spray it all with degreaser and wash it off with a hose but I am concerned about my startermotor and stuff getting wet. has anybody got any ideas, a vacuum cleaner won't work because of the oil on the engine that has turned the powder to goo.

Re: Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

Rob, I'm a firefighter and the dry powder in extinguishers is EXTREMELY CORROSIVE. I'd try degreaser or soap and water ASAP. The best way is with a shop vac, but if it's stuck to the grease degrease right away and then flush with water to ensure all the dry power is gone. The only other thing I could think of using is electrical parts cleaner, which is usually freon, and that usually works well on grease.Good luck Brian

Comment

Re: Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

Thanks pmgrape, I rushed to my boat with a shopvac, degreaser and a water spray can and everything is cleaned up. Fixed the problem and now the boats running great.

Comment

Working...
      X