Outboard storage question drain fuel or not??

paulgp6022

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, In my 4.5 Mercury outboard, after I pull the fuel line off should I leave the gas (stabil added) in the carb or should I run it dry? I would think that leaving the gas with the sta-bil in the carb would keep the rubber diaphrams in the fuel pump from drying out. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Outboard storage question drain fuel or not??

I would leave a little gas in the carb and pull the spark plug a shoot a little bit of fogger in the cyl so the cyl walls stay clean

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a very good question and I'm sure you'll get different opinions on this. Myself, I would say to empty all fuel from the carb. I'm new to boating so I can be wrong. I've run my systems dry with the lawnmower and snowblower and have never had a problem. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are some well seasoned boaters on this board that can give you more concrete answers.<br /><br />Dymo

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do both...I always put Sta-bil in the gas; then I run it out. When you run them dry...there is always a little gas that stays behind. This solves that problem. I often wonder why I then run it dry; guess it's just habit. I top it off with a squirt of oil in the spark plug and a blast of fog in the carbs. ;)

BillP

Captain

It depends on what you call long term. I have 3 small outboards in my shop and owned them since the early 70s. I only run them about once and year and don't run the gas out for storage anymore. When I ran the fuel out the carbs got varnished up (like crispy corn flakes in the bowl)every year and I had to clean them to make run. For the last 20 yrs or so I leave gas in the tanks and don't run the carbs dry. When pulling out to start I drain old fuel and add new. They still start up in just a few trys and run perfectly.

Lugnut36

Seaman

I had many projects going on at once and i left a 1972 125 evinrude sitting with a FULL tank of gas all i did was add stabilizer to it and then the normal fogging oil etc. 4 years later i got around to playing with it again. i drained all the fuel exept what was in the carbs. i sprayed some wd 40 in all 4 cylinders before trying to crank it. added fresh gas, oil and sparkplugs and she started within 30 seconds.<br /><br />For those with multi carb systems remember never to run it out of gas because the top carbs run out first and starvation of oil will occur in those cylinders.

sloopy

Commander

DRAIN IT!!! then wash the carb in a dish washer. then cleen it with antifreez, for the cylanders turn the engine over and inject a fogging oil in them (I also fogged every thing up) then cleen the plugs and befor you put the plugs in poor REGULAR TWO CYLCE OIL into the cylanders not TCW 30 or what every you call, it this should be the kind you find at home deepo, the cheepest one, this will stick and lube that area all winter long. if you own elto pals, I suggest you rebuild the engne ever year :)

Forktail

Ensign

Dishwasher? Not hardly.<br /><br />If you're going to clean the carburetor, do it properly. Dishwashing detergents have phosphates and chlorine in them which will deteriorate the gaskets, not to mention the negative affects of the high heat. Antifreeze (glycol) has a possiblilty of softening silicon gasket material.<br /><br />And do more than "DRAIN IT!!!" Run it dry. That is what most manufacturers recommend. This removes fuel from all the fuel circuts, not just the bowl. It is a good idea to run fuel stable in the fuel before running it dry. Certainly put it in your tank.<br /><br />Any 2-cycle oil recommended for your outboard can go into the cylinders. About a teaspoon. Its also important to drain all the water from the outboard, and spray the entire engine with anti-corrosive protectant. :)

sloopy

Commander

I only dishwash the metal parts, then I dish wash some of the plastc parts on a cold wash :)

marty_scher

Petty Officer 1st Class

For what it's worth:<br /><br />My 2001 Johnson 2 stroke manual say for off-season storage:<br /><br />Run fuel stablizer for 5 minutes, until completely through the fuel system.<br /><br />To avoid restarting difficulties, NEVER run the engine with the fuel hose disconnected and NEVER allow the engine to run out of fuel.<br /><br />Use fogging spray, etc.<br /><br />Good luck.

sloopy

Commander

well I like my way better :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Paul.<br /><br />I ran the fuel out of the carbs on my 2 strokes for years and had no problems, but I now believe that was very bad practice, because it runs the engine out of lubricant too.<br /><br />You could drain some carbs that have a drain plug at the bottom of the float bowl, or you could run the fuel out of the float bowl and spray fogging oil into the carb throat as it starts to run out, then kill it. That should leave the carb bowl dry and the internals well lubricated.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Forktail

Ensign

Both my 2 and 4-stroke outboards owner's manual (Yamaha) say:<br /><br />"Remove the fuel line connector from the motor."<br /><br />"Run the engine at idling speed until the carburetor is empty."<br /><br />When the engine stalls from lack of fuel at idle, lubrication should not be an issue. Certainly not an issue with a 4-stroke, and most 2-strokes use an oil injection pump system that operates regarless of what the fuel system is doing. It is much like turning the key "off".<br /><br />SLOOPY, many carbs are aluminum and the jet circuts are brass. They can deform, changing critical shape when scoured with abrasive dishwashing detergents and chemicals, especially when forced under hot, high pressure conditions. This is why knives dull in the dishwasher and aluminum camp plates warp. Do what you like :) . I'll stick to less destructive methods. :) .

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G'Day. If you run any oil injected motor with the fuel line disconnected the oil pump will still run. The carbys will fill with oil and the motor will be hard to start next time. With Johnson and Evinrude motors you can damage the VRO pump by running the motor dry. With modern TCW3 oils you should not have any problems with leaving fuel in the carbys

sloopy

Commander

LOL I am not butting the dishwater for ever!!!!!!!! all I do is put it in there on cold to wash for an hour! (I also don't tell my mom) <br />dishwasers are also great for cleening powerhead :)

milklip

Cadet

SLOOPY, I THOUGHT ABOUT PUTTING MY WHOLE 5 HP EVINRUDE IN THE DISHWASHER. DO YOU THINK IF I PUT A LITTLE CASCADE IN THERE IT WOULDN'T SPOT THE OUTSIDE. (I WON'T TELL YOUR MOM IF YOU DON'T TELL MY WIFE)

sloopy

Commander

I think your fine, just take the points out and run double oil when doen for a cople hours :)

jobassing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i washed my power head in the dishwasher and it came out great wife told her mom and now her dads washing carparts in theres but if your not a redneck that likes the oil flavor in your food i would not recomend this

BillP

Captain

If you are the type that wants to put oil in the cylinders for LONG term storage (years), then use air tool oil. It displaces water better and doesn't gum up quite as bad as regular motor oil.