Carburetor Problems on a 50 hp Mercury (1982)

kbaker7544

Cadet
After replacing the fuel bowl gaskets and the screw gasket for the upper and lower carb on my 1982 Mercury 50hp motor. I discovered that when I prime the engine with the prime bulb that I will get a stream of fuel from the lower carp to the upper right screw hole or Main Fuel Jet hole I think. First of all I don't think this is normal. Since it is not normal is it a blown seal or gasket or what addtional information is needed to determine what the problem might be. Thanks for your help

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Carburetor Problems on a 50 hp Mercury (1982)

You might have bumped the float when replacing the bowl gasket.And if so, you may have bent the needle tab out of adjustment. Now, when the bowl is full, the float tab isn't pushing the needle valve closed, thus throwing the excess fuel out of the overflow port.<br />The engine must be trimmed down (running position),or you'll get that same situtation.<br /><br />There is a tiny ball,a bit smaller than a B-B in the primer diaphram basket. If you loose that little rascal, it'll prime itself to death (voice of experiance here,lernt the hard way).

JMorrill

Recruit
Re: Carburetor Problems on a 50 hp Mercury (1982)

Hi I have carb problem i am not sure of the year of the Mercury outboard and the serial numbers A912690 keep coming up empty handed does anyone know how else I can find the year cause i have a broken jet and need to find the right jet the number I was giving for the carb is 6071A53