1964 mercury 350 leaking at pee hole

NoHeadNed

Cadet
Just hesitated to buy it...

But I did... it runs great, looks to have been well taken care of...

Run it and it pees good out the little pee hole, but it leaks between under the cover bolted to the block and the lower cowl at the pee hole. If I blocked the pee hole it would leak into the engine compartment and out the little holes in the lower cowl on both sides.

​​​​​​what's the fix?

Attachments

• photo334410.jpg
    photo334410.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 0
  • photo334412.jpg
    photo334412.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replace gaskets on the exhaust cover.----And water jacket cover where the sparkplugs are.

NoHeadNed

Cadet
Do I have to pull the power head off to do that? I dont see enough room without, what am I likely to break doing so? Any pointers?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
By golly, mine just started to do the same thing. However I ran it with the hood off and its not coming from the exhaust cover or water jacket cover. I'm thinking its my base gasket. Ugh.

NoHeadNed

Cadet
I ordered the gasket for the exhaust, along with all the other barn find essentials. Figure I'll rebuild the carb, tune it up, put a water pump in, and service the lower unit. But first this water leak...I'm gonna try to squish a thick oring into the leaks area, hopefully I can encapsulate it. If not I figure drill the hole in the cowl slightly bigger, and plug the inner pee hole with a small dowel and fill her full of rtv, wait for it to dry, pull the dowel out, and test. If neither work I guess I'll try pulling my first power head off.