1988 Mercury 45HP Classic 50

chrisjgott

Cadet
My grandson and I just bought us a great little boat. He is high functioning autistic and isn't too big on organized sports but absolutely loves fishing and being on the water. This boat has been an answer to our prayers. Last week I took it out and when I tried to advance to top speed it wouldn't go but maybe a 1/4th of what it had been capable of and acted very sluggish and over worked. Upon placing it in neutral it immediately died. It has run amazing except for this. I changed the gas, cleaned the tanks and changed the fuel filter and am hoping with fingers crossed that this will fix it. I will find out tomorrow. I put muffs on it and it sounded strong but I shut it down because I don't like to run it like that. Its been such a joy and we try to go at least twice a week. What else could it be if this doesent fix it? Im soaking in all the knowledge I can to be self sufficient. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide. Have a great day!

huntxtrm

Petty Officer 1st Class
If its been sitting very long, and put up with fuel in the carbs. I would clean them, change the fuel lines and install a new fuel filter. Probably gunked up. This fuel these days is terrible on outboards. Or anything else for that matter.