Question about my Outboard Spark Plugs Condition...are they too fouled? And, How much anti seize?

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Question about my Outboard Spark Plugs Condition...are they too fouled? And, How much anti seize?

Hello All,
I recently bought a small boat with a 2016 Mercury 150 4-stroke EFI. The engine has approximately 50 hrs.
The previous owner bought it new in 2018 and didn't use it much.

Are these plugs too fouled? Is that kind of normal or a sign that them plugs are a bit too cold for the engine? (see pictures)

Also, quick question about the anti-seize we put on the plugs. I didn't put too much (just half way and not a thick coat). I noticed that some boaters go crazy putting ant seize. Did I put the correct amount? (see pictures)
By the way, I didn't put new plugs because I don't have them now and I want to take the boat out tomorrow. Maybe its time to replace them.

THANKS!
Lou

Attachments

• plugs.JPG
    plugs.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 1
  • anti seize.JPG
    anti seize.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to delete these pictures. Sometimes this is website not user friendly!
I initial had a hard time uploading the pictures to my post and I had to put them as answers. Now I cant delete them!

Attachments

• photo334334.jpg
    photo334334.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo334335.jpg
    photo334335.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing wrong with those plugs whatsoever. Insulators are still creamer colored. Barely broke in.

Never heard of anti-seize on spark plugs. Is that per the manual?

Alumarine

Captain
Those plugs look fine to me.
If you want to replace them I'd use the one's listed on the tag on the motor.
Just a small amount of anti-seize will suffice. Mercury suggests it for salt water use on those motors.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nothing wrong with those plugs whatsoever. Insulators are still creamer colored. Barely broke in.

Never heard of anti-seize on spark plugs. Is that per the manual?

Hi Dingbat,
Yes, the manual recommends it for saltwater use (I'm in Tampa Bay). Im glad to hear the plugs are fine.
Thanks!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those plugs look fine to me.
If you want to replace them I'd use the one's listed on the tag on the motor.
Just a small amount of anti-seize will suffice. Mercury suggests it for salt water use on those motors.

Got it Marc C, THANKS!

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
If those plugs were fouled you'd notice it in performance under load. regarding anti-seize I'e always used some, so far it hasn't created any problems and I do fish coast. Only concern with antisieze is the lube may make it too easy to over torque