'89 Mariner 25hp - what is the carb float setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Ihave a n '89 Mariner 25hp EL with a WMA 32 carb that I'm re-building.

What should I set the carb float height to?

Also, just checking, re. the fuel pump on the carb -- diagrams and videos I've seen show a single unit for the diaphragm and gasket. My kit came as separate diaphragm and gasket. Because I can't find a clear drawing with the parts separated, I'm guessing that the gasket goes against the outside plate, and the diaphragm is next, and bears against the nylon pump body -- is that right?

Thanks!

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone?

What height to set a typical WMA carburetor's float used in all small-medium (6hp-25hp) Mercury and Mariners of this period?

(If you need specifics, my motor is an '89 25hp EL, serial 0C154840)

Thanks....

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Look up your serial # and you will find the diagram for your carb. If you did not bend any of the tabs just put the float back in.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
(Correction, WMC, not WMA carb.) Thanks flyingscot, I already have the diagram. I'd like to check the current setting since it is quite different from a same carb rebuild video on Youtube.

Again anyone know what the correct float height setting should be?.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally found an online Mariner 25 manual entry for my WMC carb.

The float height measured from the casting to the upper surface of the float (with the carburetor inverted and off of the motor) is 1".

I'm including this info here, in case it's of use to someone else.

Incidentally, this means that the YouTube video of a same period 25 Merc WMC float setting is wrong. But that guy also installed his float arm upside down, and the float upside down as well. So not exactly a good "how-to" video.

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope, I was wrong above. I misinterpreted the drawing in the manual. What it actually shows is a 1" measurement from the top of the float to the bottom of the main jet post.

Here, let me attach the drawing so that's easier to understand: carbsetting.png

jdlawless85

Recruit
Did you ever determine the correct gasket/diaphragm order. I assume the same as you gasket against the plate and diaphragm against the pump body. The used motor I have had it the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.