New Water Pump, Telltal? Not Telling

monstertails

Seaman
I just picked up an 1996 pontoon with a 96 75hp Mercury and I replaced the complete water pump and fired it up. I am getting water mixed with exhaust and when i remove the brass plug just above the top cylinder it sprays out with good volume but there is a hose that comes off the top side of the block end exits out the side of the outdrive that I assume is a telltale and it is bone dry, unless this is some type of crank case breather. Can someone please assist me with this issue? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo333769.jpg
    photo333769.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo333770.jpg
    photo333770.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0

jheron

Petty Officer 1st Class
Run a wire or weed wacker line through it to clear out any potential blockage?
Cheers,
Jon

emoney

Commander
First thing I would do is run stiff line or short wire. They pick up more junk than you’d realize. That Definitely looks like your tell tale line.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
It is and it does and wasps, the little fast flying suckers, just love to put a larvae in the end and your key socket and any hole they can find to stick mud and an egg into. You boat in salt water? How was your impeller when removed?

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your first pix is correct, that is the tell tail/tale on the port side. the 2nd pix I can't get my bearings to know where I am looking. Am I looking straight on at the head? This is what mine looks like on a 90elpto 2000 year model. that is where I am measuring water pressure now. I assume its rather hot water.

the red cable is my attempt to measure temperature by putting a sensor probe in that hole. Not sure what the purpose is of that castle like piece sticking up.

Attachments

• photo333510.jpg
    photo333510.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

monstertails

Seaman
WOW Unbelievable!!! There was all type of stuff blocking the line from rocks to stuff that looked like paper. Thanks everyone!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Your first pix is correct, that is the tell tail/tale on the port side. the 2nd pix I can't get my bearings to know where I am looking. Am I looking straight on at the head? This is what mine looks like on a 90elpto 2000 year model. that is where I am measuring water pressure now. I assume its rather hot water.

the red cable is my attempt to measure temperature by putting a sensor probe in that hole. Not sure what the purpose is of that castle like piece sticking up.

Monster, glad you got it flushed out.
-------------
Wn6, the second pic is the inside view of the back of the adapter that plugs into the starboard side of the lower engine cowl.

Measuring water pressure there is water pressure in the exhaust cover plate, not engine crankcase. The brass ⅛" NPT plug on the rear of the block water jacket...encircling the spark plugs is the access point for engine block cooling water.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
"The brass ⅛" NPT plug on the rear of the block water jacket...encircling the spark plugs is the access point for engine block cooling water."
Is that an ok spot to measure pressure? Watching gauge I can see the pop-off valve operating, it apparently opens to let water bypass if pump pressure gets too high.