Merc 60hp EFI 7 years old, shakes, limited power

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks :

Ran like a top all weekend. Today, I’m getting shaking which I’ve never seen before, and not getting to full power. Here’s the gunny thing (I think). I’m seeing exhaust coming from both sides just above the little anodes on the lower unit. I have a video but don’t know how to post it. See pic. I don’t think this looks right?

Attachments

• photo333219.jpg
    photo333219.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 0

emoney

Commander
Often times, shaking is a fuel problem. Made any changes recently? If not, I'd check the fuel system first from the tank to the carbs.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Often times, shaking is a fuel problem. Made any changes recently? If not, I'd check the fuel system first from the tank to the carbs.

Ran it on a separate tank with new gas ...same problem. BTW, it’s EFI, so no carbs.

Im still really curious about that exhaust coming out near the anodes, though. Is this normal?.

emoney

Commander
You could have a dirty fuel injector. Have you tried doing a "de-carb" with Seafoam? I can't speak to the exhaust as I'm not familiar with your motor, but have you inspected it when running on the hose, out of the water? It could be that the exhaust gasses are just releasing there and looks to be coming from that spot. I'd confirm it with the muffs first.

CharlieZulu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You could have a dirty fuel injector. Have you tried doing a "de-carb" with Seafoam? I can't speak to the exhaust as I'm not familiar with your motor, but have you inspected it when running on the hose, out of the water? It could be that the exhaust gasses are just releasing there and looks to be coming from that spot. I'd confirm it with the muffs first.

Ran it on very ry SeaFoam centric fuel + ..Startron. Still shakes at idle badly on muffs. Do injectors go bad? I read that 90% of fuel problems are ignition problems? Local mechanics wanted to sell me a new fuel pump, but it does run better at 3000 rpm, at least on muffs in The driveway. In the water Icant get above 3000 and not able to plane.

Any Advice?

emoney

Commander
I would personally google how to inspect/clean the fuel injectors. And yes, they can go bad. Some times it’s best to start at the bottom; check your compression first and make sure you’re running on all cylinders. Check the temp at the head, make sure it’s not overheating. Confirm spark on all cylinders and then, dig into the fuel system. I’ve seen guys spend weeks working on fuel to find out they had dropped a cylinder so it was all for naught.

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I m wondering if you could un plug each fuel injector and see if it changes the way the motor runs same with the spark plug wires