82 black max 150 help

Mybiggles

Seaman
Seems like im making a new topic every time I think of something to ask. I'm just going to confine my questions here and hopefully get some help from you guys

I picked up an 82 xr2 black max 150 a couple weeks ago. it had been sitting for a few years and with a bit of effort I got it started and running half decently on muffs on a stand. No water was coming out of the pee hole so I decided to jump into it and do a bunch of maintenance. should these things **** when cold or do the thermostats need to be open?

I recently took off the carbs to give them a good cleaning and replace the gaskets and I noticed the top left idle air bleed jet being missing. I then started reading some old forum posts about jets intentionally being left out from the factory but only found mention of that regarding the bowl jets. I searched my serial number online 6132559 which comes up as an 82 xr2 bm 150. I then found my carbs stamped WH-41, www.marineengine.com brings up those carbs as being from a newer xr4 which suggests my carbs are not originally from this motor? seeing as jetting changed throughout production can anyone tell me what jets I should be running and what if any should be left out? ill be using the boat pretty much at sea level. is the jetting specific to the carbs or the motor they are on? how do you know which jets would be left out from factory or is it a trail and error kind of thing?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Your serial Number does indicate an 82 150, however there was no XR2 in 82, 85 was the First Year for it'
Add to the fact you say the carbs are from an XR4.
It sounds like you may have a FrankenMerc, a bunch of cobbled together Parts. You now have to determine what engine you have, which might not be too easy.
Jetting is Specific to a Carb, but then the Carb is also Specific to an Engine. I know the XR2, like the reg 150 used a 121 inch Block, I'm pretty sure the XR4 used the 142 inch block, so using the XR4 carbs on either of the 121 inch 150s will lead to compromises in performance.. I guess pulling a Cylinder Head and Measuring the Bore would determine the Displacement.
I was going to ask that you check to see if the Serial Number on the Transom Bracket, is the same as the Serial Number on the Silver Plug on the Engine Block, but that doesn't mean much as they can be switched with a bit of effort.

Run a Length of Weed Eater String up the Pee Hole, as bugs like to plug them up. But since the engine had been sitting for a few Years, a new Water Pump Impeller should be on the To do List

Mybiggles

Seaman
Sorry for the xr2 confusion I just found
"
" When I typed my serial number into a website, I just assumed it was an xr2. I found the serial number on a silver plate on the transom bracket. Where is the one on the engine block?

Is the differences in carbs something that can be overcome with jetting? I assume my carbs probably flow a bit better which might make a bit more high end power but sacrifice some low end?

Thanks for your reply. Impeller is on the to do list. I have the parts I'm just waiting for my power trim pump to come in to make it a bit easier. I didn't build my stand with a ton of room between the leg and the ground and trying to balance the tilt of the motor and sliding the leg back up doesn't seem very appealing.

Dukedog

Captain
may/may not be in welsh plug on top of block...............

Attachments

• photo325162.jpg
    photo325162.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1

Mybiggles

Seaman
Thanks guys I'll have a look tonight and see if I can find another serial number. Hopefully the whole powerhead was swapped and not just the carbs. Would there be any other differences between an 82 and an xr4 that would be obvious? It doesn't have oil injection, has the idle stabilizer module above the carbs, uses the same switch board and coils as my 83 tower of power. Not sure if any of tha

Mybiggles

Seaman
Just wanted to upload these to see if they mean anything to you guys. These are wh 41 carbs correct or am I reading them wrong?

Attachments

• photo331091.jpg
    photo331091.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo331092.jpg
    photo331092.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo331093.jpg
    photo331093.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 1

Dukedog

Captain
those are not 41's.. tha number for wh's will be hand scribed right after tha WH.... when there is no number you have to compare jet sizes to figure out what they are.

Dukedog

Captain
those are not necessarily 41's.. tha number for wh's will be hand scribed right after tha WH.... when there is no number you have to compare jet sizes to figure out what they are.

no oiler or any place for it will indicate first generation block which is pre '83.........

Mybiggles

Seaman
Yeah there is nothing scribed. I googled the bottom number that started with 41 and it came up with some links for wh 41 so that's where I got that from. The only lines on the carbs are from the fuel pump and there's a small nipple on the bottom of the number 1 carb and 1 on the top of the other 2 for the fuel enrichment valve so looks like they are probably the right carbs.

Would you guys know what jets I should be running and what if any should be missing?

Dukedog

Captain
i can find out but you will need to pull a coupla of tha jets for idle and off idle to figure it out.. needta know what size they are..........

that number is for tha carb body that is used for multipole wh series carbs.. they are supposed ta engrave tha right number but it's not always done...

can ya get a picture of tha heads?.. also there is a build date stamped with 1/8" numbers, mo/d/yr., on tha base of number two cylinder on tha block half... kinda right behind tha "bend" in tha tiimin' arm... might be hard ta see but its there....

Dukedog

Captain
Y The only lines on the carbs are from the fuel pump and there's a small nipple on the bottom of the number 1 carb and 1 on the top of the other 2 for the fuel enrichment valve so looks like they are probably the right carbs.

thats all there should be.. oil is mixed at fuel pump before it goes ta carbs....

Mybiggles

Seaman
Thanks Duke I'll try and grab that info for you tonight. Can you tell me the cylinder order when looking at the plugs? Is top right #1?

Mybiggles

Seaman
so the welsh plug has the wavy lines like the photo you guys posted. the stamp on #2 cylinder says 12882 so looks like December 8 1982?

I pulled the jets out of all 3 carbs every carb has:
main fuel jets 074
vent bowl jets 076
idle air bleed jets 054

The only jet missing is the idle air bleed jet on the top carb on the left side. the jets listed from the marine engine websites for my serial number are completely different.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What was the Serial # on the Plug/disk with the 'M' on it?

Mybiggles

Seaman
Couldn't make out any writing on the plug if this is what you are talking about

Here's a pic of the head if it helps

Another thing I ran into. Was lining up my new power trim motor to the hydraulic pump part. It looks like both have flat pointy shafts that meet together. Is there meant to be a connector piece or do they just ride against each other in the pump? I don't remember pulling anything out when I took my motor off

Attachments

• photo331181.jpg
    photo331181.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo331182.jpg
    photo331182.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo331183.jpg
    photo331183.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo331184.jpg
    photo331184.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Dukedog

Captain
its actually an early '83 model.. better deal!.. closest carb i can get to is wh 28.. on tha heads there should be a small circle stamped on tha front edge, towards tha top, right side with a number stamped inside tha circle.. should be either 3 1/8 or 3 3/8?
merc was makin' some changes in '82 and '83 to tha second gen. block!.. it produced a few "different" motors.. kinda like they did in '90 ta '91 when they went to tha "fat block"....

Mybiggles

Seaman
Had a look before heading to work this morning. Welsh plug is stamped 6132559 same as the plate on the transom

I couldn't find those numbers anywhere on the heads. The only thing I can find stamped on them is "DIA" on the top right edge of the face. A - on the top edge of the one head and 96422 stamped on the bottom right face