Clunking noise

Baldy177

Cadet
Every time I raise my Merc 150EFI I hear a clunk, and when I lower it it does it again. I’m baffled. Just changed the water pump
and all looks good there. Any ideas. Thank you for all the help. By the way I am having a overheating problem, would the clunk have anything to do with it ? New water pump, new stats, back flushed. Port heads cool starboard head hot. Don’t know what to do. Thanks again

Baldy177

Cadet
Have a Merc 150EFI 2003. Overheating issues, changed stats, new water pump, flushed 2 times, still port heads cool starboard hot. But I noticed a clunking noise when I raise and lower the motor, once on the way up and once in the way down. Don’t know why it is. Could it have something to do with the overheating? Did a compression test last week and all is good. Don’t know what it could be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you Steve

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Did it always make this Clunking Sound, or did it start after you worked on it?

Dukedog

Captain
check and/or replace tha little "pads" tha trim rods ride on.. also check tha little "balls" on tha end of tha trim rods..

water pressure gauge?.. buzzer goin' off?..

Baldy177

Cadet
Just another thing I just did another compression test and they were 120,120,112 on the side running hot. So don’t think it’s a head gasket.

Dukedog

Captain
jus tha impeller or complete "kit"?.. may be a power head or adapter plate gasket?.. be keepin' an eye on tha 112 cyl. even after ya get tha over heat problem solved...

Baldy177

Cadet
Yes I know it’s getting low in compression. Ut was a complete water pump. It was overheating with the old one and the new one so don’t think it’s the pump. I have to have a blockage somewhere and I think the only way to find out for sure is pull the power head and don’t like that thought. But if I have to I will.

Dukedog

Captain
yeah, without a gauge ya kinda ina pickle!..... hope ya find it soon.. gl.

Baldy177

Cadet
Thanks to everyone who gave there advice. I decided to pull the exhaust plate to see if it was cracked and after I took it off, no cracks, I notice the inner tube was sitting at an angle, took a long screwdriver and yes it moved. Pulled the power head and midsection and sure enough the inner tube was not bolted to the lower plate. Don’t have any idea how it came apart. But u can see on the bottom were it was hitting it’s all shiny. So I think I found me overheating problem. Or did I? Could that inner tube not connected course the engine to overheat. Thanks again. And also to anybody who responds.