Dual Carb Linkage on a 40hp 400 Mercury Outboard

Sea2SkyGuy

Cadet
Outboard: 1993? Mercury 40HP 400
S/N: 9683043 BELGIUM

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a older 40HP Mercury on a 14' Thermoglass, I was told the carbs were removed to be rebuilt then never reinstalled properly again, in the process they have lost a couple parts. I was told the linkage was missing but its definitely there and am wondering if I am missing a connection to that existing linkage to control the carbs.

I cant seem to find any information or a exploded diagram showing me the part in question...if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing!

Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• photo327203.jpg
    photo327203.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo327204.jpg
    photo327204.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo327205.jpg
    photo327205.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I don't see the starter,oil tank, or enrinchner..got more parts laying around loose?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The linkage connecting carbs is in place...the top carb throttle arm is moved by the cam that slides on front of block

The Force power

Commander
As Faztbullet said the linkage between the carburetors is there (see pic.)
Inkedimage_327204_LI.jpgIt may need to be adjusted to have them synchronized

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Wrong screw and missing washer on bottom carb connection...will slip.

Sea2SkyGuy

Cadet
The linkage connecting carbs is in place...the top carb throttle arm is moved by the cam that slides on front of block

Amazing..for the first time I feel like im making some progress!

So after exploring...the missing "linkage" seems to be the throttle arm and not the actual "linkage".

Heres a pic from the top carb.

And thanks for catching the wrong screw!!! I will replace that immediately.

Attachments

• photo327343.jpg
    photo327343.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo327344.jpg
    photo327344.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea2SkyGuy

Cadet
You need this and the carb mounting nuts...
https://www.ebay.com/p/791519198

Thanks so much for all your help so far Faztbullet

Ordered the part..along with a couple others.

One last question before i get to putting this thing back together...I am coming from a dirtbike engine background so I was wondering what kind of intake manifold setup these outboards usually have?? As of right now the carbs would be exposed with no filter.

The Force power

Commander
One last question before i get to putting this thing back together...I am coming from a dirtbike engine background so I was wondering what kind of intake manifold setup these outboards usually have?? As of right now the carbs would be exposed with no filter.

An outboard is usually not running in the dirt, so no dust. lol and its enclosed under the cowl
Some models have air-baffles for noise reduction

Sea2SkyGuy

Cadet
An outboard is usually not running in the dirt, so no dust. lol and its enclosed under the cowl
Some models have air-baffles for noise reduction

Thanks...I apprecaite the info, even if it was a "stupid" question. I have always treated carbs as a no dirt/dust zone regardless of the application...hence the question.

Thanks guys..parts should be here in 2 weeks and i cant wait to get this outboard back on the water where it belongs.

The Force power

Commander
The set-up for primary & secondary is important for it to run(at all)right
Lets presume the PO did everything wrong