engine stalls when throttling down from high speed

mechanics comments were" engine does not have enough vacuum to pull fuel when throttling from high cruise speeds to idle. Engine wants to kill. need to pull and replace reeds" plugs changed, carb kit installed, comp check in green range Does this make sense?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find another mechanic I say.-----I am not sure about " compression in the green range " ---It means nothing to me.

Boat was freebie from bro in law. He provided mech comments. I cant afford to take engine to mech. Runs fine but stalls at dock. Bought Seloc book and am trying to get it right. Any suggestions as to what to try?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boat was freebie from bro in law. He provided mech comments. I cant afford to take engine to mech. Runs fine but stalls at dock. Bought Seloc book and am trying to get it right. Any suggestions as to what to try?

first, try throwing the seloc manual away, or use it as TP too much wrong information in there.

you dont state what year 20hp. post your serial number or even a pic of the motor.... without it, we would only be guessing at any of the close to 20 different models over the past 70 years

if you dont want to buy a factory manual, look it up on-line http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

what are the compression numbers? if you dont know, take a compression reading

mercury 20EH Feb02
model 1020 301 ZD
serial# OT558682
family 2M9XM00241CO
cyl casting 8729076 C14
merc 09 IL