engine stalls when throttling down from high speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine stalls when throttling down from high speed

mechanics comments were" engine does not have enough vacuum to pull fuel when throttling from high cruise speeds to idle. Engine wants to kill. need to pull and replace reeds" plugs changed, carb kit installed, comp check in green range Does this make sense?

20HP merc 2 stroke

Comment

Find another mechanic I say.-----I am not sure about " compression in the green range " ---It means nothing to me.

Comment

Boat was freebie from bro in law. He provided mech comments. I cant afford to take engine to mech. Runs fine but stalls at dock. Bought Seloc book and am trying to get it right. Any suggestions as to what to try?

Comment

Makes no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeRebelTX View Post
            Boat was freebie from bro in law. He provided mech comments. I cant afford to take engine to mech. Runs fine but stalls at dock. Bought Seloc book and am trying to get it right. Any suggestions as to what to try?
            first, try throwing the seloc manual away, or use it as TP too much wrong information in there.

you dont state what year 20hp. post your serial number or even a pic of the motor.... without it, we would only be guessing at any of the close to 20 different models over the past 70 years

if you dont want to buy a factory manual, look it up on-line http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

what are the compression numbers? if you dont know, take a compression reading
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

"Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

mercury 20EH Feb02
                model 1020 301 ZD
                serial# OT558682
                family 2M9XM00241CO
                cyl casting 8729076 C14
                merc 09 IL

Comment

Working...
                X