95 Mariner 90hp won’t shift in gear when running

rpm6100

Cadet
Hi all, wondering if anyone has an idea on a problem I’m having. I’m pretty stumped. I have a 1995 mariner 90hp 2 stroke outboard, ran great until last weekend. I was going wot and all off a sudden the motor rev’d high and I lost the ability to put it in gear with the shifter. Got myself back to the ramp and got it home. Took the lower unit off and got it back in gear with pliers. I assumed it was a fluke, put lower unit back on and it shifts fine dry not running. Seemed like it was back to normal. Take it out today and it won’t shift into gear again running. Shut it off and it goes into gear with the control. Any ideas on what needs to be addressed here? Thanks for the help.

rpm6100

Cadet
So further investigation, ran the motor, shifted into gear, killed engine and the lower unit was in gear when it was off. Problem with the driveshaft?

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Suggest your adjust shift control cable a hair

check to see if came loose both ends

rpm6100

Cadet
I believe it’s going to be the driveshaft pinion Gear, or something related to that, checked gear oil and there’s metal chunks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There you go some simple inspection and you have an answer.----Not going to be a cheap fix.----Perhaps search for a used lower unit.

rpm6100

Cadet
Tore it down yesterday, pinion gear decided to blow up in 3 pieces. Forward and reverse are toast, in addition the driveshaft splines are also toast. Will need a total replacement. Never took one of these apart before. It was much simpler then I had expected. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to get the driveshaft totally out. After taking the nut off the bottom, it seems there is a bearing or something pressed into it stopping it from sliding out, any ideas?

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lots of used and new Mariner pinion gears on ebayy FYI. got a part number?