X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ_Allatoona
    started a topic Need a touch more RPM in reverse

Need a touch more RPM in reverse

My winter project motor (1986 Mercury 75HP) is 99% complete. Everything is great except for the one remaining puzzle I can't crack: Shifting into reverse is solid and smooth, but the most throttle I have in reverse is "just enough" to back off the trailer. After it slips firmly into reverse, I have about an inch more travel before the handle bottoms out.

The remote box is new and so are the throttle and shift cables. I double-checked that the barrels are correctly placed in the control box and in the retainer. On the engine side, I've fiddled with the cable adjustments on the throttle and shift cables, moving the adjustment barrels in and out, to very little effect.

In forward gear, zero problem: wide open is fine and throttle movement feels fine. Is this a cable adjustment issue, or can I get into the control box and somehow tweak the handle limit to get myself a little more travel in reverse?

• Scott Danforth
    replied
    Not being patronizing. Throttle is usually less in reverse than fwd.

Look at the cable adjustment at the controls

Leave a comment:

• DJ_Allatoona
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
    how fast do you need to go in reverse? More importantly, how much force do you think that little sheet metal reverse latch can hold?
    Oh, no...please don't tell me this patronizing snort is the only response I'm going to get to my letigimate question...

Leave a comment:

• Scott Danforth
    replied
    how fast do you need to go in reverse? More importantly, how much force do you think that little sheet metal reverse latch can hold?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X