Advice on a CL ad. 115 mariner

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

I am looking at a 80s mariner 115. Don’t know the year and I’ll try to post picks. Looking for the good and bad.

what I know: it’s $450; it does not come with the wiring harness; “comes with the pump” a not sure what that means; it is a 115 hp; it’s a 6 cyl.

I know a ton about John/Rudes, not so much about Mercs, especially the Mariners. I am mechanically inclined enough to be a YouTube mechanic. Willing to work on anything if it is worth it. I have done most of the standard stuff including the more complicated maintenance.

tell me straight. It could be a good contender for my pontoon or I could flip it.

thanks everyone!

Jason

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That looks to be an early 80's IL6 motor with the power trim pump that mounts in the boat. Hard to tell if motor or PTT is complete, but major components look to be present. It could also be older, with a new skeg or gearcase.

A compression test, PTT test and check on gearcase oil is a real good idea. I also think price is too high for a 40 year old in unknown condition.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you. Any known or common issues with these motors? I heard the power towers overheat due to the height of the power head, not sure how true, are these the same?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Facts------Many of these motors are owned by folks who do not understand maintenance today.-----In my opinion they need a new impeller every 2 years.-----Due to the design of it.----And because many of these inline MERCURY motors do not have a warning system for over heat.----They will run till they go BOOM.

merc850

Commander
"Comes with pump" is the wiring harness for the pump included? Why no controls (shifter - wiring)? If you can do a compression test and it is 130* +- 10* on all cylinders and it sparks and the lower unit is water-free then it could be a good buy, a manual is a must use your serial Nr. for parts ordering.