1970 Mercury 115 Distributor rebuild

Headrush

Recruit
Okay. I hate to be this guy on a forum. Does anyone know where I can send my distributor to be rebuilt? The wires going into it are bare and I'm not able to splice into them. I know this is a newbie question, but I need help. I'll send this thing where ever I need to.

merc850

Commander
If you take the dist apart you can use a Dremel tool to remove the potting compound around the wire connections then, solder new wires to the circuit board. The rotor is molded onto the shaft so don't try to pull it off and before you remove the disk print the word ROTOR on the rotor side for re-assembly.
If you are going to do this be VERY careful when removing the shaft and disk that you don't put any pressure on the sending unit - it can break off easily!
Somebody did this and posted his steps.
Click image for larger version  Name:	distributorview.jpg Views:	2 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	10835584

Headrush

Recruit
If you take the dist apart you can use a Dremel tool to remove the potting compound around the wire connections then, solder new wires to the circuit board. The rotor is molded onto the shaft so don't try to pull it off and before you remove the disk print the word ROTOR on the rotor side for re-assembly.
If you are going to do this be VERY careful when removing the shaft and disk that you don't put any pressure on the sending unit - it can break off easily!
Somebody did this and posted his steps.

Do you know of anyone who has steps to disassemble the distributor?

merc850

Commander
Be careful do not put pressure on the sender arm! and mark the rotor side before removing.
TBOLT-distributor-instrucsm.jpg