Mercury L5 Cam Shift Control Orientation

Onegazza

Seaman
Have just completed the re-build on a Mercury L5 lower unit.

One item I wasn't able to get a photo of was the orientation of the cam-shift control (Part number 850307), Sat at the bottom of the splined control rod.

Re-assembling the gearbox, I have made the assumption that the correct orientation is part number facing up (curved side to the starboard side) and therefore, forward gear (which is what I removed the lower unit in), is with the splined control rod (and therefore cam-shift control) fully rotated clockwise.

(adding a little more inference, the lower unit schematic seems to show the curve on the starboard side and, the photo in the manual shows it part number facing up, being pulled out of the gearbox).

From any Mercury users / owners with an L5 confirm that this is correct, before I go and attach it back to the outboard and put oil in? The L5 is a very common unit so, I'm hoping many have been through this.

The Force power

Commander
It is advised to pressurize the LU to 5 psi for leak checking (gauge installed) turn all shafts back & forth to check for pressure drop and check with soap.
IF.....you have a vacuum-pump you should pull a vacuum to see if it holds as well

Onegazza

Seaman
Have no fear. I have a pressure and vacuum pump and will be testing both tomorrow night.

Onegazza

Seaman
Tested (all new gear case seals added, with grease or RTV where appropriate)

Pressure test: tested to 10 PSI for 15 minutes. 0 drop.

Vacuum Test: tested to 10 inHg for 15 minutes. 0 drop.