1962 Merc 450 restoration ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys picked up this motor to run on my Wagemaker .. I,m sure /I know I'm gunna need some guidance to keep me from screwing things up ..LOL ! First thing I was going to do was take the lower unit off . I removed the 4 nuts holding it on ,one being under the trim tab .. I got it to lower down about 3/16" but it wont go further . I am afraid to force things to much . Did I miss something . Will the shift rod keep it from dropping ? I have been tapping it with a rubber mallet ..
Thanks for any knowledge ya'll can share !
IMG_0750.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 7

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The shift rod is splined.----There is nothing to disconnect there.-----Some plastic wedges may help.----I say you should be doing a COMPLETE teardown of this motor before spending any coins.-----They are a sweet runner when properly done.------Have a bunch of those white 4 cylinder motors myself.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks racerone .. The plan is to tear down as much as I can remember to put back together .. I have a parts manual but I could use a repair manual i'm sure .. I checked compression with my HF tester cold with the pull cord .
112, 115, 112, 115 . The guy showed me a video of it running that was about 5 months ago .. Seemed to be running and idling well .. That was on land with the water hose .. I will get some door shims and see if It will shake loose .
I will apologize in advance for any and all stupid questions that I might ask .. :facepalm:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They used carbon steel shafts on the lower units.----Many of those suffered right where the oil seals ride.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think the term -----Restoration------means take it apart .----inspect all cylinders , pistons and rings. ---replace bearings as needed.-----replace all rubber parts and seals.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I asked the guy when I got it if it was run in salt water ... He said it was his father in laws that lived on a lake in south florida . To his knowledge it wasn't run in salt . I have my doubts ...I have already found the Dyna Float port side cover for it .. I will be replacing the rubber mounts .. A local Merc guy said he can get them along with all the seals needed ..
racerone Taking everything apart and replacing everything needed is the plan .. I,m gunna have to go slow and take pictures of everything as its broken down .. I have never done a complete tear down of any outboard before so you can bet I'm a bit apprehensive .. I did do a partial tear down of the Speeditwin in the one pic .. I just didn't get into the crankcase ...
I think I can pull it off as long as you guys can keep me on the right path .. At some point im gunna have to learn to use a multi meter .. :facepalm: Having been in construction for the last 37 years I'm really good at ft and inches plumb /level and square ..
Mechanical stuff I struggle with ....
Anyway this foot is being very stubborn ... I tried wedging it with door shims but still no go ..
IMG_0758.JPGIMG_0759.JPG

merc850

Commander
The upper shift shaft top is under the lower carb see if it will move up or down, if it will your problem is the driveshaft stuck in the crankshaft.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
While it's wedged and slightly cockeyed, try turning the flywheel. Maybe that will help break the rust hold in the crank splines. Put something under the LU to cushion the fall if it does break loose.

merc850

Commander
Have you removed the LU drain plug to see what's up? Water or not. (Not connected with removal issue)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
First hurdle accomplished ! Had a rare moment of critical thinking .. Try stacking some flat washers above the upper nuts and wedge it down by loosening the nut thus pushing against the upper shaft housing .. About 3 good turns did the trick ..
IMG_0762.JPGIMG_0761.JPG
Merc I did take the plugs out and yes a good stream of water poured out .. Digging further will reveal how long its been leaking I guess .. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst ...

GA_Boater

Sam - Save that 1st pic of the top of the lower unit. The reverse lock cams are in the right position to put it back up and have reverse lock work. The upper cam with the ears can be held in place with some grease so the shift shaft can be stabbed in when raising the lower unit during install.

What gear is it in? Forward, neutral or reverse?

The Force power

Commander
Nice work !!

I'm curios to see how "easy" the Bearing-carrier is going to come out??
does the shift-shaft /drive-shaft turn?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I put in forward before I dropped it .. The shaft does turn when in gear forward and reverse when you pull the cord ..
It seemed to go into and out of gears ok by hand from the shift lever coming out of the side of the motor ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I guess the reverse lock keeps the motor from flying out of the water if you give to much throttle ?

GA_Boater

Yes - In reverse and no lock, the motor lifts with too much throttle.

The upper cam with the ears fits in slots in the midsection. The grease I mentioned earlier keeps it in the slots. Trying to reinstall the lower with that cam sitting as it is in the pic is almost guaranteed failure. Putting it in the midsection is one less thing to line up.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I got the first peek inside the gear case this afternoon . I got tired of messing around with the golf cart .. LOL!
I dont really know how its supposed to look but my guess is better than expected ..This part at least came apart easily ..
IMG_0771.JPGIMG_0769.JPG

GA_Boater

How did you get the cover nut off? Easier than pounding kingpins. :D

Don't lose the small key. It looks pretty good.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I wish the KP would come out as easily ...The key your talking about is the one on the side of the bearing carrier ? That is there to just line it up correctly on the re-install ?
The cover nut came out fine . I just took a small wire brush and some wd-40 and cleaned the threads in front of the nut real good .. A large flat head and tapped it out using the little tabs that stick out .
I really need to find a service manual .. I have a parts manual ..