Mercury 850 no spark on one cylinder?

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m having some problems with this motor. First the cables to the trigger was broken. So now I’ve replaced the trigger and put everything back together. But I have no spark on cylinder two?

Anyone have an idea how to find the fault? Motor is from 1977 from what I understand.

DSC_0990.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.-----No money spent test for you.-----Charge the battery and load test the battery.----Take starter apart for inspection.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some will argue.-----No money spent test for you.-----Charge the battery and load test the battery.----Take starter apart for inspection.

I have a good battery, and sparks on three cylinders but nothing on number two. Why should I take starter apart, it's spinning good?

The Force power

Commander
I have a good battery, and sparks on three cylinders but nothing on number two. Why should I take starter apart, it's spinning good?

That's so we can eliminate the Battery/starter (both need to be good to ensure the flywheel spins fast enough to produce enough electricity to produce spark.

Aside from that; have all plugs removed & grounded!
Crank the engine and check the voltage (AC) to the coil of #2
should be around 180 AC volts or more. if good it could be a bad coil (not likely)
if low/no voltage check the wire from the coil to switch-box & check power at that terminal on the switch-box.
if low/now voltage; it's either the switch-box (hope not) OR the Trigger-wires are not hooked up right (as you just replaced it)

I would check all wiring throughout the entire motor for broken/corroded/exposed wires (very common for that age)
Faulty wiring can cause misdiagnoses & send you on a wild goose chase

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's so we can eliminate the Battery/starter (both need to be good to ensure the flywheel spins fast enough to produce enough electricity to produce spark.

Aside from that; have all plugs removed & grounded!
Crank the engine and check the voltage (AC) to the coil of #2
should be around 180 AC volts or more. if good it could be a bad coil (not likely)
if low/no voltage check the wire from the coil to switch-box & check power at that terminal on the switch-box.
if low/now voltage; it's either the switch-box (hope not) OR the Trigger-wires are not hooked up right (as you just replaced it)

I would check all wiring throughout the entire motor for broken/corroded/exposed wires (very common for that age)
Faulty wiring can cause misdiagnoses & send you on a wild goose chase

I tried to measure the AC voltage on the terminals going from CDI to coil, but I can't get anything on my mulitimeter. I guess it's pulses of 180V, and maybe those can not be measured with a digital multimeter?
Anyway I have some parts from another motor so I did a swap of all coils and spark plug cables. And guess what, now I have sparks on all plugs. But when testing the sparks with a spark plug tester. I have strong sparks on 1, 2 and 3, about 3/8". But on number 4 it's barely the half compared to the other three?

The Force power

Commander
With the Engine running you should be able to get an AC reading (some may argue this) BUT a DVA -adapter is a must have to check stator out-puts @ cranking speed.
You said; swapped out all coils & cables and now #4 not good.
Take the coil that was previously on lets say # 1 (since that was good) and put it on #4
If no change swap a cable.

OR put the wire from #3 to Coil #4 to see if the problem follow to #3

Last edited:

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I tested the spark on cylinder 4 with a sparkplug I thought the spark looked the same as on other cylinders. So I gave it a try, and started up the engine. Got it running right away, and it run nice and even. So I think I'm happy for the moment. Might do a coil swap later just to see if I get a stronger spark.

A DVA -adapter sound like something worth buying.