9.9 mercury 4 stroke electric start starter bad?

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
My 9.9 won't turn over after a long run on the water, fish finder shows good volts, test light lights up when probing starter hot post when the key is turned, Bad Starter ? starter works fine when the engine is cold, but not at all - ever - when engine is hot , it does every time, how much is a starter for one of those? (2006 big foot 9.9)

The Force power

Commander
Find the model# /year of your motor and check the store on this site.
or take the starter apart & clean??

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Electric starter motors needs a huge amount of amps not volts. Need a 40 Amp min battery or bit more, if using same bat connected to other electric/electronic gadgets while engine is OFF expect a amp drainage for a fast engine start. Check that both motor's bat contacts are clean and the internal wires in excellent working condition.

Happy Boating

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I figured it was the starter due to , it does it every time even with a fresh battery , then with no additional charging it will always start the next day, then when engine gets hot later that day, it won't start , next day , it starts, later that day won't start, let it cool , starts right up, heat up, won't start, cool again starts again , hot again no start, cool again starts right up, happens every time, like clock work, when it is hot and starter doesn't work, 1 pull of the rope and it starts, that's the only reason I've been able to put up with it, but it does drive me crazy, I was wonder how much a starter would be?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Clean the post on the starter and cable lug. Do the same where the ground from the battery connects to the motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yep, if the motor rope starts whether being cold or hot it's a electric starter related issue. Is the current starter the OEM factory delivered with said motor ?

Happy Boating

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, if the motor rope starts whether being cold or hot it's a electric starter related issue. Is the current starter the OEM factory delivered with said motor ?

Happy Boating

yes - factory installed starter is still the one on it

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
yes - factory installed starter is still the one on it

If all what's suggested lookig at failed and if the motor ihappens to be under warranty apply the warranty with a Tohatsu dealer..

Happy Boating