2001 Mercury 150 overheat.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

i sucked up quite a bit of sand a couple of days ago and my engine started overheating within a few minutes. Since, I have changed my thermostats and water pump, and flushed my engine. At first water could not exit the telltale but I stuck a piece of wire in there to clear it. Now it pisses, has a new water pump and thermostats, but still overheats. It only overheats at high speed also. Tomorrow I will check the poppit valve, but does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If it isn't the poppit valve, you will have to suspect the cooling passages. Can you reverse flush that motor, maybe thru a flush port, or one of the cooling hoses. If so, you will probably want to drop the gearcase, and put a strainer under the water tube to see if you are getting sand.

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I attached a hose to the port in the picture. The gray nozzle in the back of the motor. I had the lower unit dropped when I did it and sand did come out. Is there a better way to flush the motor?

Jon1229

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The poppet valve was filled completely with sand. Overheating problem fixed. New question. More water is coming out of the exhaust now then the telltale. Why?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those V6 motors have the telltale downstream of the thermostats. You will not have a telltale until (if) the 'stats open. On a cold water flusher device, at idle, the 'stats may not open or open much.

There should always be water exiting the prop and above the A-V plate.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those V6 motors have the telltale downstream of the thermostats. You will not have a telltale until (if) the 'stats open. On a cold water flusher device, at idle, the 'stats may not open or open much.

There should always be water exiting the prop and above the A-V plate.

.......aka dribbling out the rear of of the propeller barrel if the engine isn't tilted up.

Rsylvestri

Recruit
Telltale comes from the compressor cooling circuit if it's an Optimax, mines starts coming out after 15-20 seconds YMMV