99 Mercury 150 poppet valve

mgoff

Seaman
Have not heard back from anyone on this so maybe some clarification is needed. Need to know how to remove the poppet valve carrier grommet from the power head, tried to pry it out with paint can hook and screw drivers to no avail.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yours should be the same as the poppet on my '93 I would think. You have two layers of the housing and the one that goes against the block can be a bear to remove. However, it will come out with enough force. You may have destroy it in the process but if that happens at least you will have it out and will be able to repair it.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is the valve that releases water pressure when the rpm gets high right? I've got a merc 90hp 2000 and it was easy to get off. Not sure if it makes a difference but I replaced the thermostat at the same time. I'd replace the thermostat too, mine would not close completely so it would run too cool. your 150 may well be totally different in mounting.

mgoff

Seaman
Thx, got that done. Anyone know how to fix a power trim manual release valve that's stuck. opened it four full turns and it won't release.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
this is the valve that releases water pressure when the rpm gets high right? I've got a merc 90hp 2000 and it was easy to get off. Not sure if it makes a difference but I replaced the thermostat at the same time. I'd replace the thermostat too, mine would not close completely so it would run too cool. your 150 may well be totally different in mounting.

Yours is on the rear of the block's water jacket cover under the same cover with the Tstat. His stats are at the top of the cylinder banks piped down from the top of the block is a water tube down below the block in the rear-center which is where the pop-off is located on a V6..............as I recall trying to remember my son't late 1990's 150 V6.