Air intake for Merc 7.5 Elec Start 1984?????

odsailor

Recruit
I am trying to locate the air intake for my Merc 7.5 Electric Start 1984 outboard??? In hanging over the transom I can remove the "hood", but only see lots of metal and things! I am not an "engine guy". I can't see where to spray the "instant start" when there is trouble trying to start up after sailing? Any clues??..Looking down at the engine, is the intake forward, aft, port, starboard, stern quarter...etc??? Help from anyone would be appreciated!! I can just spray in the general area!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You DO NOT spray starting fluid into an outboard motor!!!! Your starting procedure is as follows:pump the primer ball, Pull/turn the choke , turn the throttle up as far as it will go. Hit the starter button. When it starts push the choke in and turn the throttle down and use the motor.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
using ether on an outboard is a good way to blow up the outboard. ether is for starting diesel engines in the cold.

odsailor

Recruit
Thank you for the good information! I have operated the engine as suggested above for over 30 years. Recently I have used the "instant start" 1-2 times late in the season after the engine has been unused and idle for over a month and the battery charge is low.
I assumed this was ok, as I have started my diesel engine with it in the past and my lawnmower too. Please advise if there is an imminent danger to the engine or myself in this practice.
Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
cast-iron diesel engines do not care if you use ether

4-stroke lawn mower engines dont like it, however can live with a bit of ether....... they can also explode

2-stroke engines should never ever ever ever be fired up on ether. there is no lubrication in ether, so you basically are killing the motor....... plus when the motor grenades (not if), it will cause damage to you.

if the battery is low, use the pull start.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
And, to answer your question, the cowling isn't tightly sealed around the lip and recoil handle. Plenty of air gets in. Also, if you look at the cowling, at the front, you may see a rubber grommet with a hole in it. It can draw air from behind the face plate.

odsailor

Recruit
Thanks to all who answered - that is a lot of good and detailed information particularly concerning my 2 stroke engine. I do wonder if after two short cranks of 5 seconds without starting, is there now enough oil sucked in to coat the pistons..etc...so that a quick "instant start" spray ( 1/2 second) directly into the air intake is "ok". Not perfect, but done 1-2 times at the end of the season should not harm the engine?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
no....ether bad.....

if you pulled it twice.... it should be running anyway.

unless your carb is dirty or you didnt prime it.

odsailor

Recruit
Thanks for all the good info. I have now learned there is an "instant spray" with lubrication which I assume will work well (2 cycle engine) for my very short "squirts" directly into the air intake the few times it might be needed. The image in my mind (from the 1950s) of everyone yanking and yanking and yanking trying to get their OB started is pretty vivid!!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Good luck with your motor. Seems like shortcuts are your thing. Proper care and maintenance go a long way but to each there own.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks for all the good info. I have now learned there is an "instant spray" with lubrication which I assume will work well (2 cycle engine) for my very short "squirts" directly into the air intake the few times it might be needed. The image in my mind (from the 1950s) of everyone yanking and yanking and yanking trying to get their OB started is pretty vivid!!

if you pull more than twice, you did not maintain the motor.

the old 50's gale that I have sitting on the back of the fishing boat will start with 3 pumps of the bulb and 2 pulls after sitting for a year.

however now, just like back then, you have to maintain stuff.

ether is bad for 2-stroke engines where it will take out the bearings and the bores with "short squirts"