Mercury XR2 150 high water pressure

sam am I

Commander
Ain't got a 2.0 diagram, you got one? Me either!.....2.5's is a close second eh?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
2.5 diagram not close at all..... Istill say your poppet is problem as I have had a few proplem with th aftermarket kit. If you still have the old parts swap the spring.

sam am I

Commander
Thx Duke... You the man!! I looked high and low

@ FB, Not at all? Looks pretty similar to me, guess I'm just bat s**t crazy...At any rate, agree and leaning towards the poppet, I'd pull it out and run w/o it, run a lap or two see what happens, go from there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_both.JPG Views:	1 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	10791099

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Does the valve move freely in the grommet? Is pinhole in poppet cover open?

AFR Engines

Cadet
UPDATE. I removed poppet valve all free and together correctly poppet seat in block is tight in the block and in good shape .Removed power head again. All holes in bottom of block are clear. Exhaust plate all clear no blockages. Removed exhaust divider all water passages open. Removed lower unit and hooked a garden hose to the copper inlet line. Turned water on pressure is about 15-18 can here poppet opening with engine off. Removed poppet and took spring off poppet so it would open. Turned water back on gauge stays at zero as it should. Reassembled everything. Started engine on muffs. Engine had 3lbs at idle for around 30 seconds then spiked to 12. The question I have is per the water flow diagram and looking at passages in the block the only place water can go is out the thermostats or dump out the poppet as all the drains go back into the pressure side of the system. Since the engine is cold and the thermostats are closed minus the small amount threw the thermostat bypass and the poppet doesn’t open until higher pressure where is the water supposed to drain too.

Dukedog

Captain
most discharge is goin' thru tha block and out tha adapter plate.. tha discharge thru tha heads and poppet is minimal... tha stats don't do anything concerning pressure, open or closed.. only two things determine pressure ina healthy, unrestricted system and that's tha pump and poppet.. tha high pressure at idle with everything you've done is what really puzzles me..

Dukedog

Captain
tha poppet will cause a problem with high pressure at higher rpm by not opening.. will have no bearing on higher pressure at lower rpm.. if its leakin' or has a hole in it or stuck open it cause's a low pressure at idle/lower rpm.. it takes water pressure to make it operate only at higher rpm which would explain higher pressure by NOT opening.. but will have no bearing on tha idle/lower rpm side of high pressure by not openin'..

20 lbs says its at least partially openin' at speed.... some "normal" healthy stuff will make 14 ta 20 lbs easily at speed..

jmo...

Last edited:

AFR Engines

Cadet
I’m with you dukedog. I understand how the poppet works but don’t see where the water goes at idle when the poppet is closed. It drains right back into the pressure side.

AFR Engines

Cadet
Faztbullet it’s on top of the block in the 1/2 pipe fitting. Also when I removed the lower unit and hooked the hose on the copper inlet pipe. The block stays full after I shut the water. But per the diagram and what I have seen on water passages this looks correct unless the lower unit is on and it can drain out the water pump.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Whats serial# as the 2L shows 3 different type of adapter gaskets....18307-6, 99177-2 and 75786

AFR Engines

Cadet
0B144373 serial 99776 top exhaust plate gasket 99177 lower plate gasket is what I used.

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
I’m with you dukedog. I understand how the poppet works but don’t see where the water goes at idle when the poppet is closed. It drains right back into the pressure side.

it actually goes from bottom of block thru tha adapter plate.. its a little confusing with those dia.. tha whole power head should drain when shut off.. at no time should it hold water not runnin'...

AFR Engines

Cadet
dukedog when the lower unit is on it drains when the engine is off. with the hose hooked up and the pressure turned down below poppet opening pressure there is no water draining from the power head other than the thermostats . but I don't see a passage or on the diagram where it would if I have the bottom end sealed off with a garden hose. Meaning does it not have a water drain to the lower unit until the poppet opens?

Dukedog

Captain
there are holes in tha bottom of tha block that let it pass water thru tha adapter....

sam am I

Commander
The block stays full after I shut the water.

Agree with Duke........This doesn't sound right and could be a clue. With stats and poppet still closed, It should still be able to **** out not only those out those drain holes BUT!! And mainly, also out the bottom side of the both heads through two specific channels, each goes back into the block (under lower two cylinders each side) then into the drops into adapter plate channels, then into the exhaust box and out the center of the prop.........

On the muffs, you should have water coming out the prop the sec you turn on the hose on, this is the main path mentioned above (don't need stats open or poppet open to have this flow).......Also if it's like mine, not sure they're all the same with respect to these but, I also have two little water jets are peeing out by on each side, just above the cav plate the sec the hose is turned on. These are two of the several drains that allow the block, when combining with the flow out the prop hub center, empty's the engine COMPLETELY of water when off.

If you'r not draining out completely, those paths are plugged......

Last edited:

AFR Engines

Cadet
I have made sure all the holes on the block are free and clear and run water threw them. There are 2 holes under each cylinder that drain into the exhaust plate from there I have zero holes threw that to the bottom end “drain holes” unless the flow threw the poppet or out the thermostats to the t back into the mid plate aka exhaust plate or out the tell tell. I can’t find any drain holes that go out the bottom of the plate to the mid section. Would love to see a picture of them. Thanks

Last edited: