removing Power Head to replace the driveshaft housing 2017 Mercury 90/65 JET

jmcgrady481

Recruit
Hey Gents,

Probably wondering why i'm asking such an odd question for such a new motor.. shouldn't have to replace a driveshaft housing often i wouldnt' imagine... but leave it to me to get it done...

I can't find anything on the removal of the driveshaft housing for a 2017 Mercury 90/65 JET.

Do you still have to remove the POWER HEAD to get that driveshaft housing off?

Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When you say driveshaft housing, you mean midsection, right? I was unable to look up a motor newer than 2014, but generally you need to pull the gearcase, powerhead and shiftrod (if you have one) to remove the midsection.

After the powerhead is off, you need to remove some bolts to split the exhaust extension to get to the upper motor mounts. A lot of the motors need to have the rear cowling support removed to split the exhaust extension.

The object is to remove both upper and lower motor mounts to remove the midsection. Alternatively, the upper mounts can be removed, which will free the swivel pin. If you pull out the swivel pin, you can usually leave the lower mounts and yoke intact. A lot of motors have a split ring below the lower motor mount yoke. This needs to be removed as well to slide out the swivel pin.

I guess the obvious question is why do you want to replace the midsection? I have only had to address it when the steering was very stiff or the swivel pin rusted away, both after the motors were 25+ years old.