Bearing carrier installation

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing a new bearing carrier on a 60 hp Mercury. The carrier came with 2 identical o rings. I'm having a hard time getting to seat because the outer o ring just seems too big in thickness. I am lubing and doesn't help. Any tips or ideas?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You want a good friction fit there. Push harder....assuming you got the right seal kit.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
According to the parts diagram it's the right seal and it came with the carrier. There's hardly any clearance even without it so there's no way this o ring will go in there. Tried pushing and forcing and all it did was roll out of position. What do you think about using some gasket maker? It's a tight fit plus there's no pressure. All it does is keep water out, correct?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hurry----Run to a shop for an opinion.-----Water getting into a gearcase will only cost big $$$

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think it should work so I need to hear why it won't. That stuff can be used as a water pump gasket so why not this. There's no pressure on it. The problem is free time is hard to come by for me to get somewhere that can help me. I drove across the country side to find another o ring, of course nobody had one.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The gear case pressure rises and falls with temperature. How much depends on how much lube the elaborate vent (2 plugs) allowed you to get in (vs air) and the temp at the time of filling and the changes over the operational life. If OEMs weren't really concerned about oil and water mixing in that application tell me why they put 2 seals around the prop shaft, one facing in to keep the oil in and one facing out (back to back) to keep the water out???

Ever do an engine overhaul? If so, in getting the pistons into the cylinders with the rings installed you use a ring compressor to compress the rings then put the compressor against the block and tap the piston into the cylinder. lubing the Oring up good with LU oil and putting a ring compressor (any auto parts store carries them) around the Oring and then putting the bearing carrier and clamp against the LU casting and tapping should do it.

Obviously you will have to modify the ring compressor height to fit the available height on you bearing carrier....all you have to do is get it in the hole and then the compressor can come off and you tap it on in.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Something I already did was put a hose clamp on it and tightened it as tight as I could and could not get it to go in.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Something I already did was put a hose clamp on it and tightened it as tight as I could and could not get it to go in.

Ok, that was a good idea, same principle. Did you compare the thickness of the old Oring to the new one, realizing of course that the old one is somewhat ovall and not round but a comparison could be made none the less. Will grant you a tight fitting Oring that is too thick will not go in the slot so the assembly cannot be connected. BTDT on other things.

BOWTECH.JUSTICE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I compared it to one of the old one rings, which may have been the front one and they were exact. I'm guessing the rear one is obviously smaller so I need to get one and try it. Part of me still thinks the gasket maker would be worth a try. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Get the correct parts in the correct place and this should slide together.----Something is wrong here.-----Run to your local shop as a mistake can be expensive.