Cowl filling with water

joshnewman05

Recruit
I have a 2004 Suntracker pontoon with a mercury 60 hp 2 stroke. Last week i noticed my water pressure drop from 15 psi to about 12 psi. I didn't think much about it at first but then the engine started skipping. So I cut the engine off and noticed water coming out of the engine cover. I lifted the cover off and the cowl was completely full of water. I take the boat home and run it on muffs and i can't see a single leak anywhere. Any suggestions? I can cruise around not under full throttle and it doesn't leak. It only does so under WOT when the water psi drops a little.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
If it only dose it when at WOT , it might be that the motor is getting flooded by the center water section of the toon not setting low enough in the water when at WOT. This could cause water to clime the motor shaft and enter the cowling and cause the trouble.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Well, it would seem that you need to take the cowling off and go for a ride. Have someone observe the motor at speed and find the leak.

joshnewman05

Recruit
I tried taking the cover off and riding it down the lake. Some water is splashing off the back deck and it was very hard to see where the water might be coming from.

joshnewman05

Recruit
If it only dose it when at WOT , it might be that the motor is getting flooded by the center water section of the toon not setting low enough in the water when at WOT. This could cause water to clime the motor shaft and enter the cowling and cause the trouble.

Any ideas on what I could try to avoid this? I'm not 100 % sure what you mean by the center water section of the toon.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Find the pee hole line and where the water pressure gauge is teed in. I will bet it is somewhere by the spark plugs. The fact you dropped water pressure is a clue.

joshnewman05

Recruit
I checked both of those lines. Both are good. No leaks at all. I also changed the water pressure gauge line just to make sure it wasn't leaking once it built up pressure.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have my doubts about the cowl being completely full of water. Either the water is coming from a breech in the cooling system, or a breech in the Cowling.