Mercury Optimax 135 4 beeps

stx123456

Seaman Apprentice
2006 135 Mercury Optimax 2 stroke outboard.
Last season no troubles, this season 3rd time out, I started getting the 4 beeps every 2 minutes. Oil and oil reserve is good. I took off and emptied out the fuel filter. Ran it at dock and still getting the beeps. I’m still running gas that I had stored it with. I added 10 gallons of fresh fuel, and more stabilizer. I bought a new fuel filter and installing tonight.
Should I use Teflon tape when installing the wire attachment probe into the new filter, or just screw it into the filter?
Thanks for any help on this.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm seeing 2 faults which give a 4 bbeps ever 2 minutes, the one you found and water in fuel, could be the sensor

stx123456

Seaman Apprentice
I put the new fuel filter/water separator on, and it’s still beeping. Oil in tank on motor full. What sensor were you referring to? The water sensor, or a bad oil float sensor? I hear you can’t just change out the oil float, and you have to buy a whole new oil tank. Is there a way of testing these things? Also, do I have to drain that tank that the filter attaches to? I see a big brass screw in the corner. Maybe still sensing water?
Thanks

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Was hoping the OB guys would have discussed. I just looked up fault codes. If there is a fault code then there is a sensor which set it.

Canisbay

Cadet
How old is the fuel that was stored in the tank and what octane? If anything below premium 91+, while this is typically fine to run most engines on, long-term storage of ethanol based fuels (which most 87 & 89 octane fuels are unless you buy from specifically a ‘marine grade fuel’ provider which only purchases from a supplier of ethanol-free fuel) can cause the straight gasoline and ethanol to chemically separate, which mimics a water-in-fuel scenario. I had this exact problem a few years ago and had to do a complete flush as stabilizers and SeaFoam could not rectify it.

Cheers

stx123456

Seaman Apprentice
Changed out the oil tank and filter leading to the tank on the motor today. Ran it at the dock for awhile. No more beeps. Will take her out hopefully tomorrow morning. Didn’t have time today. I hope this was it.
Thanks for everyone’s help.