1977 power trim pump. Will it work?????

Kylineman

Cadet
I recently purchased a really nice 1150 for a pontoon build I'm doing. The previous owner had a few of these engines and robbed the power tilt and trim off of this one to use on a 1400. I'm in the process of putting power trim back on the 1150 and evidently its pretty hard to find a working pump to power the system and that brings me to my question... why wouldn't a pump from say a mercruiser alpha one or some other I/o system work? Now maybe that's a ridiculous idea but don't they work the same way? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The main difference between the MerCruiser PTT pump and the 1150 PTT pump is the control valve. The 1150 control valve mounts to the bottom of te PTT pump, with an intput and output port. The control valve doubles the ports and also has valves and springs to hold the motor in any trim or tilt angle.

The Mercruiser PTT pump has a single input and output port and hooks to a fitting on the sterndrive casting, which doubles the ports. I am not sure what else is in that fitting. It may be the equivalent to the 1150 control valve or not.

ARCO used to make a PTT motor and 1/2 reservoir replacement for the 1150 Mercs. Maybe you can still find one.

BTW on a pontoon boat, power trim is not very effective. Power tilt is convenient, however.

Kylineman

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Chris. That was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I guess the big question would be, will the mercruiser system operate the 1150 cylinders and hold them in place... I think I might have an old system to try out. Either I'm to ignorant to see why it wouldn't work or my curiosity is getting the best of me. I guess ill find out soon enough.

Alumarine

Captain
There's not enough ports on the mercruiser pump for the outboard lines.

You can mount the outboard control valve on to the mercuiser pump though.

Kylineman

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Marc. I know the pump only has 2 ports but don’t they go to a manifold block that then splits and has 2 ports per cylinder? Now once again I really don’t know what I’m talking about and the system probably doesn’t work like I’m thinking but I figure there is 2 ports for the lines coming from the motor and then 2 per cylinder for a total of six ports on the manifold block?

Alumarine

Captain
No manifold block for those outboards.
2 lines for each cylinder = 4 ports on outboard pump.

Kylineman

Cadet
No manifold block for those outboards.
2 lines for each cylinder = 4 ports on outboard pump.

Yes you are correct.....And 2 lines for each cylinder= 4 ports on the manifold on the I/O system also. Lets forget about the outboard pump.. I'm 100% aware that there isn't a manifold block on the outboard. BUT there is a valve body that is essentially doing the same thing that manifold does on the I/O system, correct?. Lets focus on the I/o ptt system, it uses two hoses from the motor to the manifold and then doubles the ports. just like the valve body does on the bottom of the outboard pump in a round about way. In the end the manifold on the I/o system is doing the same thing that the valve body is doing on the outboard pump. You still have 4 ports even though there are only 2 coming from the pump to the manifold on the I/o system. I think I can drive the 2 outboard cylinders with the I/O pump AND manifold block providing I can get hoses made to connect the manifold to the outboard cylinders....I just cant get my head wrapped around the reasoning of why it wouldn't work.

Alumarine

Captain
It might very well work.
It could be they just relocated the I/O style manifold to the bottom of the pump for ease of installation as not all outboards came with trim/tilt while all I/O's did.