Propeller nut almost off

BP37066

Cadet
Propeller nut almost off then propeller started spinning free. 90HP Mercury 4 stroke 2007 EFI. How do I keep shaft from spinning to finish removing nut?

BP37066

Cadet
propeller nut almost off

Propeller nut almost off then propeller started spinning free. 90HP Mercury 4 stroke 2007 EFI. How do I keep shaft from spinning to finish removing nut?

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Wedge a block of wood between the prop and the anti ventilation plate. It’s wood, it won’t damage either one. There are several videos on YouTube to show how to remove a prop. Is the prop spinning on the prop shaft?

BP37066

Cadet
The prop is spinning on the prop shaft. That’s how I got it almost all the way off with the wood. I didn’t know if there was a good way to hold the aft adapter or something else I’m missing

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The prop is splined to the prop shaft. If it (blades and all) is spinning on the shaft, the interface between the brass splined core (that contacts the shaft) and the propeller casting (which includes the blades) has been damaged. On a replaceable prop-hub the core is plastic and brass and apparently has sheared. On non replaceable hubs the interface is a pressure fitted rubber insert that is designed to slip when hitting an obstruction and reseat once the operator cuts the throttle to idle and then powers back up resuming whatever condition existed prior. The rubber inserts usually reseat and essentially "heal". The plastic shears and you are dead.

iboats sells plastic/brass inserts to fit your prop-engine shaft. Prop shops can replace the rubber boot. If you are talking about an alum prop on a 100 hp engine (for a number) they sell them on here for about a hundred bucks brand new.....wink! You get all new parts.

When installing whatever you decide upon, nut torque is on the order of 55# at the 100 hp level.

BP37066

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo312687.jpg
    photo312687.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo312688.jpg
    photo312688.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0

BP37066

Cadet
I tried it in gear and it’s not strong enough to hold it. I’m using channel locks on the adapter to hold while in gear but they keep slipping off because they’re at an angle on the adapter from the hub recess