Smoking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking

My 2003 90HP ELPTO Mercury Smokes like crazy on startup (fogs up the boat landing)! Normally will run alright afterwards, but Saturday fouled a plug so wouldn't idle well. Ran okay at speeds. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm dealing with the same issue, just got a new check valve to add between the oil line and fuel line. Hoping it will help. The oil seems to 'bleed down' into the fuel line, even past the primer bulb when it sits. This means after sitting it's getting way more oil than normal during startup.

Technically this valve is supposed to keep fuel from pumping up into the oil system but I'm hoping it helps this issue as well.

Edit: This guy https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/8236.cfm
    Part #27 in this diagram: https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercur...cfm?mdl=YRD4JF
    Last edited by TrybalRage; May 15th, 2019, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I hope that helps. From what I have read the oil injection system is supposed to be 80 to1 on idle and 50 to 1 off idle,but I don't see how to adjust it. Mine has a stop on it where the linkage connects but I wouldn't want to make a mistake.

Comment

Please let me know if the check valve fixes the problem.

Comment

A fouled plug indicates a lack of heat in the cylinder.-------It needs attention.-----Do a compression test.-----The shop manual has a procedure for checking oil pump out put.------If you understand 2 stroke lubrication you will find that more smoke at startup is very normal !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry999 View Post
            My 2003 90HP ELPTO Mercury Smokes like crazy on startup (fogs up the boat landing
            Keeps the Mosquitoes away and most 2 stroke oils smell wonderful when burnt, bringing back fond memories

Comment

No smoke would be worse, haha.
              Im really not up on your particular engine, but I do know that on some 2 strokes with sequential or throttle proportional variable oil injection...should the actuator or cable controlling the flow of oil snap or fail..the design means the flow is defaulted to full flow for safety.
              Perhaos not relevant to your engine but certainly the case on some marine 2 strokes.

Comment

If it was bottom plug that fouled check the seal on rear of oil pump as I have seen these back out and flood lower cylinder with oil.
                When in doubt,Trim it out!!!
                Business Owner & Certifed Technician
                Boats I own & use
                20ft Javlin w/250 Junkrude
                17ft Bullet w/200 Merc (SOLD!!)
                13ft Allison w/150 I-6
                17ft Hydra-Sport 175GT
                15ft Allison w/75 Stinger(project)
                14 x 48 Drifter with 1100SS Merc

Comment

Go to WW and get some Pennzoil Premium (syn blend) oil in the sporting goods dept for your engine oil requirements and a few cans of Sea Foam in the auto parts dept for engine hygiene. Initially dump the whole 16 oz can into 10 gallons of gas and after that keep 1 oz per gallon of gas in your fuel or fuel mix if no oil pump. Will clean up your combustion chamber, engine will do little to no smoking and run much better. If you are inclined, Google "Decarb" and do that (best if the neighbors are away on vacation as it's smoky) then run your 1 oz per gallon in every tank.....spoken by a 2004 version of your engine exowner.....gave up fishing and donated it to the local fire station who had to borrow a boat every time they needed one.
                  If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

Working...
                  X