1989 25hp Mariner flywheel bolt hole stripped when pulling -- suggestions?

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the two bolt holes in the flywheel of my 25hp Mariner stripped when I tightened the puller while I was trying to remove the flywheel.

Any suggestions for getting the flywheel off, now?

I may be able to get a nut under that particular hole, but it's pretty tight to work in there. I'm leaving it 'til tomorrow, and/or a better idea -- If you've got another way, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks!

SteveVT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks flyingscott. I would have if I couldn't get a nut under, but I did manage that, and pulled the flywheel. Not easy getting that nut under there -- the space was really tight -- could only get one finger under there and the magnets kept grabbing the nut, but I finally slipped the nut onto a small phillips screwdriver, and slid its point up underneath the flywheel to rest in the hole. Then slid the nut up the screwdriver with a finger and held it in place until I could turn the bolt and it seated in it.

Just mentioning the above in case anyone else ever has the same problem.

(Warning -- with the nut in place, don't rotate the flywheel any when cranking on the puller, or it could contact and break the trigger (or other coils). When I did it I broke the trigger coil's nylon ring -- but it needed replacing anyway -- which was why I was pulling the flywheel in the first place. Still.....be careful.)