86' 35 hp Merc Electric Choke not Functioning

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone, I noticed the electric choke doesnt seem to function on my outboard. Tonight I checked to make sure that voltage was getting to the connection on the solenoid. When the key is depressed I read 12v so the wiring is good. Upon further inspection I got really confused how the electric choke system even works? It appears to me that the choke solenoid isnt even connected to anything. It just has an empty hole in the bottom? I see the plunger but idk how that works. Is it not connected correctly or is there a test k can do to test the solenoid? I'm just very confused. Any input would be appreciated, thank you! I tried to take pictures but it's very difficult with the support bracket in front. 20190422_210133.jpg20190422_210502.jpg

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do I put the big bronze cylinder portion of the plunger into the solenoid or is it a different peice? Thanks!

The Force power

Commander
Yes, that goes inside the Solenoid, apply a small amount of lubricant onto the plunger beforehand. the other end should have a black plastic piece that attaches to the choke lever(s)
there's only one (pos) wire terminal on the solenoid, the solenoid gets its ground through the body, make sure the bracket that the solenoid is bolted to; is grounded (with a wire/strap)

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright thank you! That makes more sense. No wonder it doesnt work. Will try to assemble and post back with results. Thanks

The Force power

Commander
If it is the plunger I'm thinking of....these plastic tabs/linkage are very fragile! handle with care when re-installing

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried to put the plunger in tonight. It was such a pain! The front bracket with all of the electric gets in the way of everything. I ended up yanking it all the way around the carb and sticking it in the hole. I didnt use lube but I willl next time i get out to it. I tried to use the electric choke and heard a weird click snap type noise. The choke flap moved ever so slightly and that was it. So I assume that kinda works. But in doing all of this I messed up the Manual choke and proabably the elective choke levers too. So now the manual choke doesnt work. The whole choke system is such a pain with the front bracket. So that's currently a bit of a mess. I think I'm going to just leave it as is and try and run it. And see how that goes. If there seems to be a carb issue I'm going to just disassemble the whole front plate and remove the carb and go from there. Just havent had time to try and run it again.

The Force power

Commander
That "click/snap" sound it likely from the plunger pulling into the solenoid (that's good) if the choke shutters don't close all the way, it means it needs to be adjusted.
push manually the plunger up into the solenoid and close the choke(s) attach linkage accordingly
for manual choke; pull the knob up all the way, close the choke(s) attach linkage accordingly

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright thanks for all the help you've given me, I appreciate it. I will probably end up taking the whole front bracket off and that should help me better understand it. I think I messed up the adjustments and the plunger/hole needs to be cleaned and lubed. Going to try and start it soon and manually choke the flap. Depending on those results I will either do a full carb rebuild or not and work from there.

merc850

Commander
If this diagram is like your setup the plunger goes into a hole in the choke shutter, you might have to undo the nut that holds the grate and shutter off remove the shutter and place the plunger (6) stud into the top hole of (25) then turn it up and put shutter and plunger back into position. Replace grate and tighten nut until the shutter is tight but not binding. 850-chokesmall.jpg

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Very helpful diagram, this makes it much easier to understand. thank you!

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright, so I finally got to testing the motor again today. I haven't fixed the choke linkage yet, but I think I know how to do that. I manually choked it and noticed it's not firing whatsoever. So I checked for spark. To my great disappointment I found that it doesnt have any spark on the top or bottom cylinder. I'm going to make a new forum post about that. Anyways now I think I know how to fix the choke problem but I have a picture of where the carb very slowly drips fuel. Not that big of a deal, just curious if anyone knows the issue? Any help would be appreciated. On to the ignition problems.

The Force power

Commander
as you know; fuel will gravitate to the bottom, it may very well not leak from that point but higher up.

clean & pressurize the Carb with the primer-bulb and look higher up for leaks.

Fuel leaking from a Carb. is/can be a "big deal"

merc850

Commander
That's the throttle shaft and it will leak fuel if; the play is excessive, the carb is flooding due to improper level or excessive choking.