2005 Mercury 200 2 stroke weird starter problem

mukiboats

Recruit
I apologize in advance. similair questions ave been answered several different times. The only reason I am asking is none of the scenarios are exactly what is happening to me. So when I go to start my engine, the very first time, the starter engages and turns the engine as designed. If it doesn't start and I try it again, it engages the flywheel but does not turn it. Instead the shaft just spins without turning the gear.Also, when I stop turning the engine over the gear never disconnects from the flywheel. I have to turn the engine by hand to get it to pop down. If I let it sit for about 4 hours it will crank once normally before reverting back to problem. Batteris are good, and I wire brushed all the connections on battery and starter. I don't mind buying a new starter if that's what I need, but I just wanted to see if that what my symptoms are pointing to.

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Try a little wd-40 on the shaft,....Sounds like the gear is sticking.

mukiboats

Recruit
Thank you very much. I ended up buying some carb/choke cleaner. I cleaned the entire Bendix gear really good. Then I applied some Boeshield T-9 waterproof lubrication to penetrate the starter. Then I doused the entire starter mechanism and flywheel in white lithium grease. Not only did that fix my problem, but it starts better than ever. Thanks again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
As all that grease becomes contaminated with dirt, oil and age you will be back cleaning it again. More is not always better.