History

croz

Cadet
Anyone ever owned, used or know about the 1980 3 cylinder 70hp Merc. I'm looking for an original owner and shop repair manual. I just got the motor and it turns over with starter, has compression, and the drive train(prop turns when cranking). Just don't want to jump into something that never was good to start with. Thank you.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Need to test compression and post numbers..anything below 100psi is questionable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can buy the manuals on ebay or dirwct from Brunswick (Mercury Marine)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Not one of Mecury's best designs, 2 carbs feeding 1 1/2 cylinders each, that plus a 1.41 hp per cubic inch will make for an engine with a less than great torque curve/power bandwidth.

croz

Cadet
I noticed the carb thing. Wondering if that is why the #1 piston has been known as a weak point? Will try to fire it up and make final decision.

Bought an old Gruman 16' open aluminum wide and deep fishing boat with the motor on it! 70hp might be a bit much!?! Price
I couldn't pass up.

Thanks again!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Not one of Mecury's best designs, 2 carbs feeding 1 1/2 cylinders each, that plus a 1.41 hp per cubic inch will make for an engine with a less than great torque curve/power bandwidth.

Also, jogging my memory, the 50-60-70 of that series has a small lower unit gearcase swinging a 10" rather than 13" diameter prop that others in that HP range were using at the time. Takes torque to develop the thrust to swing a big wheel and obviously these engines were lacking. Really made for light, easily planing hulls.

The service manual for my last engine, 2002 Merc 90 2 stroke looper said that anything below 120 psi at 200 rpm cranking speed was questionable.

However, there may be light at the end of the tunnel: That series of engines were loopers (I know the later model 51.8 cu in 3 cyl, 3 carb engines, 1.64 gear ratio were) and loopers usually run 2 wedge shaped piston rings rather than the conventional 3, used on Cross Flow engine scavenging designs. The 2 rings have to be able to move in the piston skirt to expand under compression pressures seal off the combustion chamber. If your engine is gunked up with carbon they can't perform as designed, making for low compression.

Before you commit harey-carey, get some Sea Foam fuel treatment (any auto parts store) and get back on here and lookup "DeCarb"....or just plug that word into a Google search engine. Do that and with 2 oz per gal of SF added to your fuel/fuel mix, get the engine running and get some time on it. Then recheck your compression. May just squeak by and save an overhaul.

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About a month ago, on eBay, I got service manual 90-86135-5 in very good shape. Among others, it covers the Model 70 (3 Cyl, 2 Carb) with US serial numbers 4571652 thru 6428681. There were a couple others available then too.

Check the serial number on your motor, it sounds like that will be the factory service manual for it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Also, jogging my memory, the 50-60-70 of that series has a small lower unit gearcase swinging a 10" rather than 13" diameter prop that others in that HP range were using at the time. Takes torque to develop the thrust to swing a big wheel and obviously these engines were lacking. Really made for light, easily planing hulls.

If you are comparing Merc's 49.6 cubic inch engine to OMCs 49.7 inch engine, they only had a coupe of things in common, 3 cylinders and just under 50 in displacement. Bore and Stroke were different. Loop Charging vs, Direct Charge(a modified Cross Charge), OMC 3 carbs, Merc 2 carbs, As you mentioned a 10 or 11 inch diameter prop vs. the 13 inch, however the gearing on the OMCs was 12:29 vs. 14:23 for the Merc. Rpm ranges for the OMC was 4500 - 5500, the Merc varied by year, sometimes it was 4800 -5300, other times 5000 - 5500, even 5000 - 6000 some years.

OMC also made a 75hp version of their engine. While a great little engine on a light hull, it left a lot to be desired if used on a heavy boat. Getting those 5 extra HP resulted in an engine with some drawbacks in power delivery, smoothness, and temperment.

Sorry for taking the topic off on a bit of a Tangent...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compared to the OMC 3 cylinder looper lower unit the Mercury 3 cylinder direct charge lower unit was not " robust " in my opinion.-----Same gearcase as the 35 / 50 hp with a different gear ratio.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the mid to late 70s, OMC did put a smaller case on some of the 3 cylinder loopers, It wasdn't as small as the Mercury case, but did offer a little less drag.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
In the mid to late 70s, OMC did put a smaller case on some of the 3 cylinder loopers, It wasdn't as small as the Mercury case, but did offer a little less drag.

Anything to beat that thing hanging off the bottom of the "Fat 50", OMCs first 4 cyl......one reason I went to Mercs in the early days...lower unit would slip over logs and moss and all....OMC just hung up on anything that came along besides water and for a layman to try in getting that LU gearbox, bottom cover back on and sealed properly....no thanks.

On straying off topic, we participated in answering the question which sparked memories that were associated with boating of the day so I don't guess the site cops will get too disturbed about our variances. Grin