89 Mariner 175 water in cylinders

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2.4l 175 that has water droplets on all 6 plugs and cant figure it out. The pistons look like they have been steam cleaned. So far i have replaced both head gaskets and replaced the divider plate and both gaskets. Checked compression this morning and all 6 are between 118 and 122. Any other ideas, dont think it is a cracked block because i recently pulled the powerhead and replaced 2 pistons, rings, and bearings and it did not have any sign of water in the cylinders before this. Will the adapter plate/ base gasket cause this? Thanks

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
No did not surface them, just checked them with a sraight edge. Was hoping to rule out head gaskets because its in all 6 cylinders. Do you normaly install the base gasket dry or with a sealer?

Dukedog

Captain
I do dry but some use a thin sealant.. might wanna do tha gasket "between" tha two adapter plates as well... while ya there.

Partonjoshua

Seaman Apprentice
ill order the gaskets and cross my fingers. I do remember when i had the powerhead off i was an idiot and did not replace the gasket between the adapter plate and mid. Noticed the extra gasket on the table after i put everything back together. Wanted to confirm that this can cause water in the cylinders before wrenching on it. Thanks again

Dukedog

Captain
may or may not be tha problem but tha "wrenchin'" won't stop till its fixed... gl with it.